Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question for sixsixt (jetting and floats)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for sixsixt (jetting)

Hey there Six...... I used the jetting spec you gave me. GYTR kit, 25 pilots, 160/165 mains, 2 1/2, 2 3/4 turns out on the screws, gytr needles in the 3rd clip. It is definatley better then the Dnyojet kit, but I am having a low rpm problem. Seem if I just put in fist gear at say 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, it runs rough, And seems a little rough after letting off the gas as well, sometimes a pop, basically just not running smooth. Runs great when just riding fast, almost can't tell at all. I looked at the plug and to me it looks just a tad on the lean side. should I just try and turn the fuel screws out a little bit and go from there???

Also I believe I have a float problem... When going up steep hills or riding wheelies it boggs out or floods out, I used a clear tube and checked the level that they are filling to and it looks like the fuel level in the bowl is about 1/2 and inch above where the bowl and carb base meet. From the sounds of it that is too high, any help there???

Thanks again Sixsixt, I am very close to perfect now thanks to your help!

Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way high on the float level. I would adjust that before you change anything else.Maybe an 1/8th turn out on each screw while you have the carbs off if you don't have a tool to do it when there mounted.

Old 04-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Way high? I have never touched them and they were both IDENTICAL. They must have been wrong since day one. Oh well, I thought it had to be the problem, maybe its so high that it is messing up the low end haveing to much gas.

For those that have adjusted them before..... I looked at them when I had the carbs apart. when the carbs are all the way upside down, they are not at all level with the base like I have seen in other post, but they are compressing the little pin on the fuel vavle, when I pull them up to where that pin is all the way out of the valve and i hold them to where the float tang is just touching the pin they are almost pefectly level with the base. Do I want the level with the base when they compress that pin or when they are not compressing the pin?? I know the spec is 13mm, but same question remains, compressed or not?

Old 04-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You're right the high float level is probably making your bottom end rich. Half inch above the mating surface is the higher than I have seen. You probably checked but make sure you don't have crap on the needle valve and their sealing. I'm surprised you are'nt getting fuel out of your over flow tubes at that level.

The way I've ajusted them is to check them first with the tube then when you have it apart rest the carbs at about a 30 degree angle and measure. If you were a 1/4" high checking with the tube adjust the floats that amount and note your measurment. I think mine came out to about a half inch. Put the bowls on and stick the carbs in the boots you don't need to tighten them hook up the tank and check with the tube again and readjust if needed. My level is about an 1/8 to a 3/16th above the mating surface.

Old 04-23-2003, 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The reason I do it this way is because, by the looks of the way the floats are made I doubt that any two are made the same so measuring them is not going to be very accurate. And that little spring is so sensative that you have to hold your breath.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

One other thing I notice is that the base of the carb is not exactly level when sitting on level ground, I was looking at the middle of the carb, it looks like measuring 1/8th of an inch in at the front or at the back could make a difference, where did you take your measurements?

Old 04-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

On the side near the front of the carb.

Old 04-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Well I measured how high the gas is above the bowl/carb mating surface and on the left carb it is 7.14mm or .28in. I didn't check the other carb, it is almost exactly the same. Does that seem to high to everyone?? I'm afraid that I will adjust them and lower the level but then them not fill enough and run out of gas on long wide open runs.. Where they are now that tang on the floats is straight and does not look bent at all, just want you to have all the info incase there is another problem.

Old 04-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider
Default Question for sixsixt (jetting and floats)

This is a fun one
I had the same deal...
after hours of frustration heres what I've found...the level was to high from the factory
the way(angle)the tab of the float contacts the needle its hard to get good adjutment(either to high or to low)
I rolled the tab giving it a curve and allowing easier setting
Before you re-install just re-hook the fuel line and tilt the carbs back over...now make sure as the float travels the way it ought to and completely shuts off fuel at the top of motion and allows flow at the bottom...

I HATE THESE STUPID CARBS

Old 04-23-2003, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Question for sixsixt (jetting and floats)

Any pics of your bends or anything like that? Which way did you put the curve in?

Quick Reply: Question for sixsixt (jetting and floats)