Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rappy Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rappy Running Rough

Had my Raptor out yesterday and she ran great until the end or the day. It sounded like it was running out of gas and would die some times at idle but if I gave it half to full throttle it would run fine. I checked the plug and it was black, electrode wasn't fried. I tried a new plug but still the same. I looked at the e-brake and it's good. Is there any possile reverse switch problem???

Mods: R4 Slip-On, DJ-144-146, Clip Fourth Groove

Old 04-28-2003, 11:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe crap in the carbs. or a sticking slide or you need to adjust the valves. Those would be my first guesses.

Old 04-29-2003, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider

I'll bet the choke plunger is sticking part way open on the RH carb. thats what happened to mine. the spring breaks and then the choke doesnt close on that carb. unscrew that cable and i'll bet the spring comes out in pieces. the spring is what pushes that plinger all the way to the right to shut off the chokes. mine works great now that i cleaned all that stuff up and put in a new spring from the parts store. oh, and pull the cable loose at the bars, tape it to a brromstick, and let some lube run down that puppy.

thatll prob solve it.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor8 is on the right track, check the choke.

Old 04-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

and i you have time, adjust the valves! I never thot it was important till i got spanked by a new raptor. turns out the ones who know adjust em all the time...well, i'm creating a new habit: adjust valves, change oil and filter every 20 hours, thats about 4 -5 rides for me. but the diff was astounding!

need a book? PM me

Old 04-29-2003, 09:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I don't think it's the choke is he said it sarted running bad at the end of the day and probably wasn't using the choke at that time.

Old 04-29-2003, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Where I usaually ride at by the end of a long day mines runs alittle rough at idle and can't really top out like I know my Rappy can,
my problem was my air cleaner was getting full of dust and dirt, my K&N was smooth, no ridges, the folds were full of dirt and filled them to the edge, so I clean mines now after every ride my problem is solved.
FYI- and if Im gonna do any racing it's as soon as I get to the spot w/clean K&N before riding around and getting it pluged up with dust,
What a performance difference a clean filter can make!

Old 04-30-2003, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

the choke is about the only thing i can think of that would change suddenly..if the spring is broken, theres nothing keeping that little plunger from floating around, reacting to bumps, etc. anyway, its an easy fix if thats it. and since its an 01, it's worth checking anyway...
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2003, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of your replies.
Raptor8 I will check the choke spring. Once I figure out the problem I will post it here.

Old 04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Raptor8,
Where is the choke plunger and spring located?? I looked in my Service manual and found the blow-up of th carb but I don't see any thing.

Quick Reply: Rappy Running Rough