Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

98 grizzly shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 grizzly shifting problems

Hi, I'm new to this forum so If I am posting this in the wrong place please let me know nicely. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I am the proud owner of a 98 Grizzly (the bike is just new to me). I am having a problem shifting the bike into low. I have a service manual and adjusted the components to spec but when at spec it won't shift into low. If I adjust the components further I can get it to go into low but then I can't get reverse. Unfortuneatly the book does not tell me what's wrong in this scenario. As you can probably also guess by my description above that I'm fairly new to mechanics (although I'm fully willing to learn). So any help or suggections would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-29-2003, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a nearly new 2003 Grizzly and have had the same problems since getting delivery of the ATV.

I have had an additional problem in that the safety interlock electric ignition also won't activate in neutral and
park consistently. Without the interlock on, the ATV won't start!

I was first told by the service unit at my dealer that the idle speed was too high, and that the idle speed should
be adjusted to a slower rpm...I tried that....it fixed about 50% of the intermittent problem.

But, I still had trouble physically moving the gear shift into neutral or park...low-high-and-reverse never had a problem...
and I had to push the unit a couple of feet to get the electric interlock to activate so I could start it.

I brought the Griz to the dealer...they told me that 'that sure is a weird problem'....but the 2003 Griz manual states...
that there does occur a situation where the electric interlock doesn't work and to take it in for service.

The unit has been in the shop for two weeks...and they still haven't gotten it to shift or engage consistently...

My conclusion is that the Griz has a defect which may be uncommon...but is not just a one in a million.

I told my dealer that if they can't get it to shift and turn on consistently, the unit is a lemon and I want a replacement.
They didn't like that statement.

I will let the forum know what the final outcome will be....

If anyone else out there has had the above problems with their Griz (any model year) I would appreciate a continuation
of this discussion

Old 04-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Waves, thanks for the reply but our problems are not the same. I have no problem moving the shifter lever into any gear. My problem is, after moving the shifter lever into a specifed gear, having the gear become active (as in moving the bike). I get no catch into low gear. If I adjust the shift rod down then I get low but loose reverse and vise versa.