Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Can I trail ride or mud a banshee at all ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I trail ride or mud a banshee at all ??

I've been on here a couple times asking about a 400ex, well I may go pick it up tomorrow, or my neighbor has a sweet 98 banshee, just bored, pro-x pistons with new rings, new gaskets, new plastics, new tires, new brakes, and renthal handlebars, otherwise stock.... He only wants 1800, he has to get rid of it, due to addition to their family.... Can I trail ride this at all ?? Possibly a little mud, nothing major just roost a little muck.... I'm a little worried about maintence, i'm a mechanic by trade and have an auto shop here, not worried about doing the work, i just dont want to be wrenching on the thing every weekend.... It will be saterday ridden only, i have no other time but on saterdays, maybe some time at night, so it will see minimal use, how long will rings last ?? Thanks By the way, how much for rings to replace usually ? Thanks guys !

Old 05-02-2003, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

You can do anything on a banshee, and a 98 for 1800 is a FRICKIN STEAL! I paid 1750 for my 87! The banshee doesnt need much maintence. As long as u take care of it, it will take care of you. I say go for the banshee, the 400ex will not be missed!!!!

-nick

Old 05-02-2003, 11:28 PM
FMF
Pro Rider

Yes I would get the Banshee they are a great bike. And 98 for $1800 is a STEAL.
We have a 99 Banshee in are town for $3500.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

400ex rating:XXX
Banshee Rating: XXXXXXXXX

400ex may handle better and be more reliable, but nothing puts a smile on your face like a screaming tow stroke. a bore job is 40 bucks per cylinder, pistons are 60-90 bucks a pop, and rings are included if u buy pistons (never bought em for a 2 stroke, but they should be I think). If all you did was replace the rings though...... I bet if you tried hard you could change the rings in about an hour. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] i know I could on my RD. Heck, you some people just carry spare pistons and rings in their backpacks when they go on road trips on an RD just incase. The only major worry witha 2 stroke is the jetting needs to be spot on. I have a burnt up head and piston if you want to look at my RD, it wasnt caused by lean but thats about what it would look like. Mine was caused by a 30 year old ring giving out though.

*edit* BTW, dont rings last like 2-3 years or more on a stock bike? ive havent worn any out from age yet, Ive mostly just been fixing old stuff.

Old 05-03-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Definitely get the Banshee! If you dont buy it I would greatly appreciate it if you would Email me the phone # of the seller and what part of Florida he is in. I know several people that would like to find such a deal on a Banshee.

Old 05-03-2003, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Like.... me for instance [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-03-2003, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

where can i find a stock 96 banshee carb?

Old 05-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

id go for it a moded 98 for only that much its a steal just make sure there is nothing majorly wrong with it

Old 05-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

That bike has a story behind it too.... Theres nothing wrong with it, and the bike literally has probably less than 15 hours of riding time on it, no joke....He's a Boynton Beach police officer, bought the bike, very very very very soon after he was involved in a shooting incident, and was injured.... The bike was parked in his garage, well i've known the guy for a long time, I remember when he brought it home brand new.... Well the bike was parked and covered not to be touched until about a month ago.... I was talking to him and he let me pull it out, I put gas in it, and after I kicked my leg away i took it for a little ride.... One of the carbs started leaking gas ((One of the o-rings dryrotted from sitting in the dry garage for 5 years.. But no big deal, it was just a little drip drip here and there.... Took it out on some hardback, did a little roosting, the right rear tire blew out, we took a look, the tires were even all dry rotten, and he said the rings were most probably sticking a little bit in the cylinders as well from sitting so long.... Sooooo.. He brought it to a bike shop and said replace and fix anything you can/want.... They put 4 new tires on it, new brakes, rebuilt the carbs, new Pro-X Pistons w/rings, and new gaskets everywhere, they jetted the carbs perfect.... This bike starts on the first kick and runs flawlessly.... To this day he can't ride it yet, well not fast at least.... This bike literally only has a couple hours on it. So it really is a "Brand New Bike" I told him i was looking for a 4 wheeler and he offered this for 1800, I told him I wanted the 400ex, but than I started thinking.... Now I just have to get the money from the bank sometime this week,, and the bike will be mine... I've been typing for a long time now, thanks for listening guys !

Old 05-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

Never mind the money, you won't like riding the banshee, way too much power, seats not comfortable, too narow, too short, um what else...... Oh yeah whats your buddies name and phone number [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Wish I could find a steal like that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Can I trail ride or mud a banshee at all ??