Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sat on a KFX700 today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat on a KFX700 today..

prairievenom: You 700 owners can't handle the truth! YOU should grow a "sack" and learn how to handle a real quad that you have to shift!

Old 05-04-2003, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Some of these girls take this stuff way too seriously.....

Old 05-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Hey why is it all you rapptor owners ever say is ''LEARN TO SHIFT''. I can i ride my cusins warrior all the time ''ITS NOT A REAL SPORT QUAD'' really so thats why it has a V-twin, 700cc and is FASTER than a piped rapcrap. If the V-force is not a sport quad than neather is the rapcrap.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

516 pounds, plus fluids and rider with all the gear. Shaft drive, and auto transmisson, sounds like riding a M1 Abrams tank. No matter what you do to it your limited by the shaft drive. No gear changes and its weight will keep it out of the spot light. Calling the v700 a sport quad is like calling the 250ex and the suzuki 250 sport quads. Auto transmissions, auto clutches and shaft drives are made for beginners and people who want something easier to ride and control. Hell my wife rides a 250ex when she wants to putt around, other times she's on my banshee. The term "Sport Quad" is used very loosely these days. Face it companies will put a engine in a frame and put sport somewhere in its title and it'll sell, just because of the marketing, but not everyone is fooled.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Traded with my brother's Banshee for about an hour the other day and I couldn't wait to get back on the 700. I'm sure people consider the Banshee a sport quad, but the 700 is better in every single way. Suspension, brakes, turning radius, lands smoother on jumps and is just as fast.

I think its funny that people think shifting is some big skill that needs to be learned.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:49 PM
Range Rover

If it doesn't have a hitch or racks, it should be considered a sport quad.

This is dumb to sit and argue if a quad is a sport quad or not. The V-force is a sport quad. The drivetrain has absolutely nothing to do with if it is a sport quad.

Ride whatever puts a smile on your face!

Old 05-04-2003, 11:23 PM
RPM
Pro Rider

All this Chest Beating Banter is fun to read and all, but the FACT is that the KFX700 is a Sport Quad whether you agree with its components or not. It has it's Good points as well as it's Bad points. But EVERY Quad does.

I really don't see the Shaft Drive as a Down side to this quad. In the group that I ride with, my KFX700 and my wife's Ozark are the only shaft driven quads. Almost every hill in the area that we ride in is rutted all to H*LL. Due to the extra ground clearance, we are the only ones to make it up every hill without any trouble. The only down side to this is, that means I usually have to end up helping all of the Chain driven quads get up the hills. The fact is the Ground Clearance on a Shaft Drive quad is a BIG advantage. That is why I ride my 700 instead of my KFX400, out on the Trails. That's right, I own a Manual Shift quad too.

The KFX700 is a SPORT Quad because it is a Performance Oriented ATV. Just like a Raptor, a DS, a Predator, or a Z. Just because it doesn't appeal to everyone, makes NO difference. Is it Big, YES, Is it Heavy, YES, Is it Ugly, that is up to your tastes, Is it Fast, YES, Is it Powerful, YES, Does it Handle Great, YES, Do I Care if Everyone likes it? NO, I don't. I bought it because it is what I wanted and it is everything that I had hoped it would be, Auto, Shaft Drive and all.

Now getting back to the subject. If you think the KFX700 feels Big to sit on, try riding it for half a day and then hopping on a KFX400, it feels real narrow.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

kevinM got a very good point,it is funny how' s people are reffering an auto tranny quad for biginner,man,SIT on a powerful auto tranny quad like
the v-force or a full modded scrambler than you'll LEARN something about shifting,if you don't mind,you'll find that an auto tranny is A LOT MORE
shifting wise than you're revving to the moon craptor,it take a lot more thing to be considerated,can you upshift or dowwshift on your manual
clutch bike?????? that is quicker!

Old 05-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

If it doesn't have a hitch or racks, it should be considered a sport quad.
Luecker

Thats got to be one of the worst things that I have heard in a long time. But seeing as there is not another catagory other than utility and sport you're correct. So i guess that my daughters yamaha breeze is a sport quad also. Great now shes gonna want a pipe and all the goodies also.
And as far as a shaft drive quad having more ground clearance, the shaft has nothing to do with it. Its all in the frame geometry, and suspenion set-up. Now where we ride there are a lot of times when you have something in your path and noway to go around it other than the way you came, having a clutch you just pop the front wheels and gun it to get thru. Not gonna do that with a auto. But after riding all day you also don't have the clutch hand cramps like I do either. Like you said they all have their good and bad points.

What I would like to see is that all of the manufactures take input from all of us and actually build us the machines that we really want. Or be able to atleast have a few options on them. Like weather or not we want a shaft or a chain. Lets face it the technology is there and the the manufactures can be competative with the aftermarket companies if they wanted to. But why, they know that we'll still buy the same old thing that they produced for years. I was glad when yamaha brought out the raptor, not that is couldn't use a few improvements. I also think that its great that suzuki is back at it, I'd like to have a z400 but the wife says that its either the banshee or the z. Sorry I can't get the 2-stroke out of my blood.

On a side note I really like the orange color on the 700. But hey in this day and age with all of the rules and regs getting made each day, I'm just glad that everyone still can ride. Big brother is getting closer to putting his foot on our necks.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:47 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Ridley,

I will be the First KFX700 owner to agree with you, that the 700 is Not going to be the best choice for an MX quad. It has been from the very begining marketed as a GNCC style quad, which although it may have to endure some jumps and possibly a Woop or two, that is not the type of terrain that it would be going over throughout an entire race.

With that said, there aren't to many Pro or Semi-Pro racers out there riding bone stock quads either. So it is hard to say what the 700 would do with the propper suspension and shock setup. I realize that the weight may still be a factor. I think that the current success of the KFX700 in this years GNCC series is proof that the 700 is meeting it's expectations.

Quick Reply: Sat on a KFX700 today..