Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sat on a KFX700 today..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat on a KFX700 today..

I like how big it is, but the DS is way bigger its almost as big as a ford aspire or fiesta!

Old 05-05-2003, 12:55 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Fendercover

And as far as a shaft drive quad having more ground clearance, the shaft has nothing to do with it. Its all in the frame geometry, and suspenion set-up. Now where we ride there are a lot of times when you have something in your path and noway to go around it other than the way you came, having a clutch you just pop the front wheels and gun it to get thru. Not gonna do that with a auto. But after riding all day you also don't have the clutch hand cramps like I do either. Like you said they all have their good and bad points.
Actually, you are wrong. The lack of a rear Chain Sprocket, and the fact that the rear Brake is a sealed wet Disk setup, therefore eliminating the Disk Brake Rotor, gives the KFX700 almost twice the Ground Clearance that my KFX400 has. On almost every Chain driven quad, the lowest point is the rear Chain Sprocket.

Second, the KFX700 will pull the front wheels off the ground with Little or No effort. If you read very many of the early posts on the 700 you will see that this was a criticism that many new 700 owners had.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

scramblered
kevinM got a very good point,it is funny how' s people are reffering an auto tranny quad for biginner,man,SIT on a powerful auto tranny quad like
the v-force or a full modded scrambler than you'll LEARN something about shifting,if you don't mind,you'll find that an auto tranny is A LOT MORE
shifting wise than you're revving to the moon craptor,it take a lot more thing to be considerated,can you upshift or dowwshift on your manual
clutch bike?????? that is quicker!

Can I upshift and down shift on my banshee? lol Sure as hell hope so. Takes more skill racing with a clutch than a automatic anyday.
Give me a quadzilla, banshee, raptor, 250r any day.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry its all in the frame geometry and suspenion set up. Your sealed unit is i'm guessing is about the same diamater as your 400 sprocket. Maybe a little less but not by much.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:37 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Fendercover
Sorry its all in the frame geometry and suspenion set up. Your sealed unit is i'm guessing is about the same diamater as your 400 sprocket. Maybe a little less but not by much.
The sealed unit is smaller than the rear Rotor on my 400, and you also have to calculate the rear skid plate that protects the Sprocket and the Rotor. The main clearance problem is the Sprocket. That is why I made the statement that my 700 has twice the ground clearance of my 400.

Correct Ground Clearance is measured at a quads LOWEST point, which as I stated is in almost every instance, the Rear Chain Sprocket on a chain driven quad. Frame Geometry and Suspension has little to do with it. Tire size and Sprocket size are about the only factors that will change the distance between the ground and the lowest point of your Sprocket. The manufacturers like to measure ground clearance from the lowest point of the frame, to make the numbers look good.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:49 AM
RPM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
Check out the thread in the Kawi forum sayin a V will smoke a PIPED raptor. This is gettin a little ridiculous. This subject is gettin a little stale already
I agree completely. I don't care if the Raptor beats the 700 or visa-versa. I ride to have fun, and as long as I am having fun who gives a D*M if one quad is faster than the other. That seems to be the catch all for a majority of the members on this Forum. It is all getting a little Old. Half the time I feel like I'm back in High School.

And yet here I am day after day debating all this Silliness. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Yep same old mine is faster and better than your crap. Subject has ended buy what you want and ride it. Its all about forgetting the past weeks troubles.

Old 05-05-2003, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ridley
Check out the thread in the Kawi forum sayin a V will smoke a PIPED raptor. This is gettin a little ridiculous. This subject is gettin a little stale already
Tis true..... bring your Rappy to Akron and I will give you a free demostration [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I sat on a vforce and thought they were pretty nice. I have two banshees, had a raptor, and had a ds. I am debating getting a vforce for the wife, and of course I could ride it too.

How do they do at hillclimbing. Hey 3tv, have you had it out to little sahara yet? I am curious how it does around there. My wifes biggest problem is that she always seems to be in the wrong gear for goind up a hill. I think the only downfall would be the weight, if it got stuck, might be hard to unstick.

As for speed, my buddy bought my ds and raced one on flat ground at little sahara and he beat the 700 pretty easily. However, the ds is piped, jetted, and open air filter, rev box, in other words is modded. The 700 was stock.

Bat

Old 05-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

there were 3-4 v-forces at silver lake a few weeks ago. i admit, they are some fast quads, they were all stock from what i could see, and kept up with the heavily modded quads. such as RaptorRacer1, and such. i know he was there, had a lot of $$ put into it, and the v-forces were a good 2-4 lengths behind him. so indeed they are fast. but do they look the greatest? eh, they look better when you take the bumper, and that black piece off, and put an after market one on. then they look great!

Quick Reply: Sat on a KFX700 today..