Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!

Post when it gets fixed, because im curious what the fix is.
As far as the rev limiter wire...youve already pressed the button, and it didnt help, which rules out the diff lock limiter. Id doubt it would be the reverse rev limiter, but jumping the wire to ground would be just fixing the symptoms and not fixing the problem. It would be a good troubleshooting step to take though, and see if it improved.
Dont let it scare you, when they say theyve never seen a problem like that before. Its a marketing and sales tool. They want you thinking its too tough for the average guy to tackle, and they have already laid out the time frame (open ended, because it so myterious), so they can take in other work which pays...while your warentee work sits. It also sets you up, phycologicaly ,to pay whatever it takes to get it running, and be glad for anything they did. Dont fall for the hype...they have a good idea where to look and what to look for, and itll get fixed.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

thank you for giving hope.....

Old 05-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya this really sounds like a faulty sensor. It might have been caused by the water but it just might be faulty and happened at the same time. I have 05 kodiak and have put over 1000kms (600Miles) and I punish that thing. Gone threw large mud holes, flowing rivers, Deep snow for hours, and minus 20 degree temperatures. The bike has never failed me and I hope it never does, but its mechanical and everything maechanical breaks. Dont get down on your bike its just a little bad luck. This will get fixed and you will never look back. Good Luck.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok well the verdict is in. $160.00 is the cost, and the problem: the clutch was packed with mud causing it not to shift, so the dealer says. but it should be done tommorrow and as good as new. lets hope.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Thatll do it. Itll be good as new, when you get it back.
Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

How did the MUD get in there? Does it have to come in from the snorkal? In other words can I get mud in the clutch from everyday riding or does it take a complete SWAMPING to get it in there? Just glad you"ll soon be own you way. I went riding yesterday after work and what a way to releive some stress!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

i did have it pretty deep it mucky water, the exhaust was underwater but i kept it running, and the water was coming over the seat. the right front end headlight was under water but not sure where the water went in. would like to know so i can get a snorkel if need be.. but i think my swimmingdays are over for now.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Range Rover

I have dunked my '05 Kodiak many times, with my muffler under water a few times. It went under to nearly the top of the seat a few weeks ago at Coal Creek in TN, in a flowing creek(almost a river from the rain). I have had no problems with mine so far, you must have really dunked the rear intake under the rear fender. I can think anywhere else were mud or water could enter the clutch at. If you find any place the mud and gunk could get in let us know, I am sure that could be a place to try to seal up or vent higher in the future.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I remember months ago hearing about a few of the kodiaks coming from the factory with loose snorkals or intakes where it connects to the transmission, maybe it needs checking. Just a thought.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It happens quite a bit. Dusty trails ,and silty water, get mixed in with the grease, and the next thing you know, the rollers dont roll. Next time, when you pull the tranny drain, and clear water comes out, youre probably ok, but if it looks dirty, or gritty, the clutch needs to be inspected.
You could save a bit on money and do the work yourself. You can get a service cd on ebay for 8 bucks, an electric impact wrench from harbor frieght for 39 bucks, and a socket from sears for 8 bucks, and a tub of ultramatic grease form the dealer for 18 bucks, which has enough grease for two lubings, and still be under half what the dealer charged. That way the next time, it needs to be done, its free. And youll have more fun, if you tackle those mud pits instead of avoiding them, thinking about the 160 dollar repair.
It really isnt that tough to do, if you can change spark plugs and change oil, youd probably be able to do the regreasing.

Quick Reply: 450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!