Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!

I was out riding my Kodiak 450 on sunday when my cousin and I found a nice 25-27 inch deep water hole. Well after a couple of times hitting it I decided to hit it a little faster...too fast. The belt case was full of water and it was causing the belt to slip major so I pulled the drain plug and drained the water. I limped it out of the hole and let it idle for 5+ minutes. After most of the water was out we tried to get going again. At aboutr 1/2 throttle the quad bogs and sputters. It idles fine and runs good until 1/2 throttle. Im guessing I need to clean the carb and change the oil and plug.

Thanx in advance
Agressiverider

Old 05-07-2003, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

You shouldn't need to clean the carbs, but do the following:
1 clean and dry the air filter thoroughly (oil if necessary)
2 add a little isopropyl alcohol to the fuel tank (red bottle available at any gas station)
3 run the quad at full throttle and stab the choke a few times to help draw the water out of the carbs
4 check your oil to see if it is grey indicating water (change oil if necessary)

You should get this done right away and run it for a while to dry it out, take it on a fairly long ride.

It may sputter for awhile until you get all of the water run through but it won't hurt anything.

Good luck!!

Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

WOW, I though i was the only one, i have been checking these and nothing, took my kodiak through a water hole and almost sank it. After getting pulled out and everyone t Mt. morris coming to see me stuck i started to drive around a i had no power. luckly checked the owners manual which desribed the water plugs and out came nearly a gallon. yikes!! i checked the oil and it looked great no water whhew. same problem, engine sounds great but now i top out at 20 mph, and it sputters at 20, Can i get my power back and how? it's only a month old :-(

Old 05-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

I'd say you got water in your air box and on the filter. Look under the air box and there is a check plug which is clear so you can see if it's got water in it. If it does clean it out and service your airfilter. After washing it good be sure to let it dry a day or so before oiling it up again. I keep two filters around just so when this happens I dont have any down time. There are several check plugs on the kodiak, look in you owners manual and find them. Next time you go swimming just take a look at them and you will know right away if you need to drain them.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

checked all the drain plugs after wards but yes the filerwas still damp. I'll pull it out and see where it goes from there. thank you

Old 05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Range Rover

The kodiaks have a bad tendency to allow water into the beld housing throught a tub at the bottom of the machine, with the right side cover taken off you will see it near the bottom. If the tub has come off the housing then water got into the belt and there is a plug under the machine ( I think just behind the oil plug) you need to take out the plug and drain the water then replace it and it sould run good as new. That is if there was water in with the belt and from what you said thats what it sounds like.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you suspect water in the float bowl, you can open the drain at the bottom of it, and let it out. Water will settle to the bottom of the float bowl, and will be the first to come out.
If the air filter got wet, then youll need to dry it out. The water stays on top of the oil film in the filter, and as you increase the rpms, the water gets pulled off of the filter and sucked in the motor. Until the filter dries out, itll probably continue to sputter.
For drying out the belt case, it helps to run at about 2000 rpms in nuetral, this will spin the pulleys and belt, with out the load of being in gear, so the fiction and centrifical force will help dry things out, and move more air through it, with out harming the belt. At idle the belt and pulleys are stationary.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well i have tried tipping themachinge on the tail end and nothing cameout, i have drained 4 water traps, the airfilter is dry, and i have ran it hot for a while, my machinestill runs topped out at 21 mph and startes to sputter. i haven't tried dry gas yet and am notgoing toremove the ultramatic cover yet due it would void the warranty. if i were to guess there is still water somewhere in the system but i cant find it. please help! it's only a month and a half old.

05 kodiak 450 that went swimming

Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

It runs cleanly, no sputter up to 21, and then bang...it runs crappy? this is in high range and 2wd?
Was the water that came out...clear or muddy?
Its posible the weights in the primary clutch are dirty and not swinging out far enough, or the helex on the secondary has crap on it,and youre hitting the rev limiter which is causing the sputter. Does that sound likely?
I didnt think removeing the cover would void the warrentee.
Did you drop the carb float bowl and look for dirt or water in the bottom of it? If you find any crud in the float bowl, then youll need to clean out the carb. Also take a close look at the main jet, and make sure its clean.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok, float bowl? not sure what that is, and am afraind to clean a carb unless you could walk me through it, i am new to the four wheeler game. Water was muddy, yes 2wd high. yes it sounds like what you said to the T. so let me know how to fix it. if at all i would hate to take it back to the dealer..

so does this sound like it will be costly to fix, the more time that goes by the more i begin to worry.

Quick Reply: 450 Kodiak water woes...help!!!