Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Very OT but I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very OT but I need some advice

Okay I know this has nothing to do with Yamaha but I am guessinga lot of you guys will have some imput on this.
This isn't a Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge question.
I am looking at getting a 2003 Chevy S-10 ZR2 which i will be trading my 00 GMC Z71 in for. I know this is a down grade in size and power but I really don't need all the truck I have right now so I an wondering a couple things.
1. Am I going to be disipointed with this S-10 after owning a big @ss Z71?
2. Here is where the Yamaha part comes in kinda will my raptor fit in the back of a ZR2?
3. I'm a big guy 6'2'' I've sat in one and was thinking the leg room was a little less then I wanted but I could reset where the seat bolts down. *i think*
4. Power, this one is going to be a 5 speed stick vs the auto 5.3 in the Z71 does this thing have enough power to keep up with the big dogs? (i'll be putting dual flowmasters on it) unless you know of something that will give me more power.
5. last one. Are there any options that are a must to get for this truck. stock or aftermaret.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Range Rover

It just so happens that I own a black Raptor and black 2003 GMC ZR2. Cool huh? Now to answer your questions:

1. Maybe. I really like mine. I like the smaller size and its a sweet truck but there are a few things you may not like.
2. No your Raptor won't fit between the wheel wells. The bed dents easily and if you put it in the back you will cave in the wheel wells. I have a trailer for this purpose.
3. I'm 6' tall and still have one or two clicks back on the seat.
4. I have the auto tranny and am a little disappointed with the power. I had a 2000 that wasn't a ZR2 which had plenty of power but I think the gearing change and large wheels on the ZR2 rob some acceleration. May be better with a stick.
5. Must haves are a bed liner, trailer hitch, seat covers and vent shades for the windows because rain will come in without them. The ZR2 package comes pretty well decked out otherwise.

Hope this helped.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

That is cool, same thing I was looking at I really like black for my toys.
Thanks for all the info that helped a ton. little disappointed the rappy wont fit in the back but no big deal.
I am guessing with the 5 speed the power should be pretty good. I will get some motor mods off JC whitney after I recover from buying it.
Thing I don't like about my big Z is it's a pig to drive in the cities or trying to park downtown. things like that are just too hard when everything up there is small cars for the most part. but it's fun to intimidate the little cars ha ha.
Thanks again.

One last thing what do you get for millage?

Old 05-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Range Rover

I'm not sure on the mileage because I'm not sure how big the tank is but I just went on a trip and got 315 miles to the tank. Its probably better than what you are used to.

Old 05-07-2003, 01:14 PM
Elite Pro Rider

1- You are gonna be kicking yourself after a couple weeks.
2- It will fit, but you must drive over the wheel wells.....not much fun with ramps.
3- I am 6' and have plenty of leg room.
4- Here is the big disappointment.....the larger tires KILL the power and fuel economy of the truck. You will be getting spanked by even the lower HP S10 trucks.....run and hide from the new powerful full sized trucks. Economy....LOL.....if you avarage 15 MPG, you are doing EXCELLENT. Expect 13-14 for the norm.
5- Supercharger.

On a side note, the 4.3 liter engines are bulletproof and the ZR2 is one of the best looking trucks on the road. Price-wise....at high 20's....you could be in a nice full size truck with more power and better fuel economy. This is my experience.....print this off and refer too it in a couple of weeks if you get the truck. Good luck bro!

Old 05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Range Rover

Just trade it in for a brand new crewcab 4x4 F-350 Ford Superduty with the mighty Powerstroke Diesel! This truck is the KING of all!(And your bike will fit right in!)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: racereadyraptor
Just trade it in for a brand new crewcab 4x4 F-350 Ford Superduty with the mighty Powerstroke Diesel! This truck is the KING of all!(And your bike will fit right in!)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Jump ship and drive a F....F.......not a good idea..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img].

Old 05-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Only thing a ford is good for is something to throw trash on.
Maybe use it for something to **** behind. ha ha
Power isn't that big of a deal h*ll I've never onced smoked the tires on what I have now.
Just want something smaller for big city driving and road trips.
And I really like how the ZR2 looks.
I could swing a new Z71 if I wanted to but I was more interested in a smaller ride.

But I am worried I will miss the power. Even know I miss stick shift more then anything. so I think having that will make up for it.
And with a couple mods I should be back where I want to be with power

(side note I've gotten 18 with mine on a road trip but the norm is 15)

Old 05-07-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Went from a 91 C-1500 to 95 Dakota to 01 K2500

I would never own anything other than fullsize anymore. Bought a 96 Neon for dang near nothing for my daily comute to work. Gas savings along pay for the payment and insurance then I have my K2500 for fun and pleasure.

BTW 34's killed the gas mileage on the K2500 but now that I have the Neon I will be installing 35's next time around with another 6 inches of lift. Then I will be forced to get a trailer because it would feel to much like a ramp loading the Raptor and Road Star Warrior.

Neon also keeps the miles of my 91 and 01 which I still own, got ride of the dakota though.

Old 05-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

I am with the others, I think you will be kicking yourself down the road.

They are nice looking trucks, but you will surely miss the fullsize truck down the road. Buy a small car for city driving and call it good.

Or, do whatever you want, it is really your decision.

Bat

Quick Reply: Very OT but I need some advice