Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor oil tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor oil tank leaking

gary,
my pleasure,,,,,,i did alot of research on the stick type steering stablizers and i wasnt impressed, of the stick type, denton makes the best.....mounting of the stick type is not that difficult and it can be rebuilt, (if you get that one, denton makes a non-rebuildable and rebuildable type) and i has 7 click adjustments.....what i didnt like about the stick type stablizers is how they mount on the frame and how they stick out past the frame rails, not what i think is safe, especially if you crash or hit something with the front end.......overall i felt that the fit and finish where substandard i my eyes and opinion......keep i mind that i am a degreed mechanical engineer, so I am not just spitten out **** here...

what made me go with the scott's is that is has high speed and low speed and dampening swing range adjustments, a warantee, and Scott's will do the first service for free.....and the fit and finish are the best......the installation was not that hard, for an intelligent person....i had no problems cause i like to wrench and i take my time and do it properly.....as for the difference it made during riding...i race motocross, in the NEATV-MX series here in NE.....some of the tracks get very whoops out and rutted......prior to the installation, i would hold the bars with a death grip, just to hang on....now, no more arm pump, very relaxed as i skim across the ruts and whoops....no more bars being ripped from my hands.....whether i am riding slow or fast the damping is the same.....i love it...and it's a must have if you have the money for it.....take note, the Scott's damper is not cheap,,,you are looking at $500 for it....but after having one, it's worth every penny......here is an example of it's worth........i was passing a Cannidale at a local track when he tried to squeeze me off the track as i was passing him up a jump face....well i drifted off the track in the air and landed with my right tire hitting the tire wall on the side of the track.......i though while i was in the air...oh ****.....i hit the tires the bars, just twitch a little...nothing to even be concerned about....welll after the day's ride and my front end being knocked out of alignment, i notice that i twisted and bent the Pitman arm at the bottom of the steering stem.....i was like...man i couldnt believe it....the pitman arm is a hefty piece of casting and really strong....well the Scott's dampner totally isolated the extreme shock the pitman arm experienced......i had no idea that the impact was that sever......another time I had a tire catch the inside of a deep rut at southwick moto-338 and the bars just twitched alittle and i finished the race....well guess what, i bent a tie-rod end....now i know the stock tie-rod ends a weak on the raptor, but again i didnt feel the hit......the Scott's dampner is the best hands down......i must have.....i wish i could post a pic for you......but i cant.......pm me and i will attach a few pics of the dampner.....i highly recommend the Scott's dampner..........FYI....GPR makes a dampner similar to the Scott's but i am not sure if they have a model for the raptor....Ohlin, also make one, but again not sure if they make one for the raptor....
herbdon out.. lastly the people over at Scott's performance are great to work with......

p.s.....sorry for the long post..........

Old 05-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor oil tank leaking

Hey

Can you put a space in your sig line or something so it will wordwrap? people with 800 wide resolution (like me with this old pos pc) have to scroll left/right to read your post.