Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor oil tank leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor oil tank leaking

Anyone have this problem occuring.....the main oil line that bolts too the bottom of the tank is leaking.....dried up o-ring I suppose????? Anyone know the definate fix?

Old 05-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

I have seen this happen to a few guys. It was a crack in the area you describe. Must be caused by vibration. I don't know if it can be welded or not but if it happens to me I'm going aftermarket. Hopefully you are under warranty.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Range Rover

An '01 with failed tranny? I guess your warranty has expired.

Old 05-13-2003, 01:28 PM
Range Rover

GARY,
my oil tank is leaking in the same location....not sure what causes it, but the tank / weld interface cracked....i am taking mine to Walsh to weld it, he has done a few in the past and it has held up....i will let ya know how it comes out......i dont have the money for the pingry's tank, otherwise i would get it..............

herbdon

Old 05-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I'll have too check that out...hopefully not a crack....if so, I will go aftermarket. THanks for the input.

Old 05-13-2003, 03:17 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Something else to look forward too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

i had 2 crack from tightening the bolt too tight. MAybe be welded but it is real thin right there. I had a guy fix mine at a local chemical plant.. he used some kind of liquid like putty around it and it has been good for a while.
\Rudy

Old 05-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, i've gone through 3 of em....another flaw of teh raptor....basically it's just a stress crack right where the drain bung is molded to the tank....have fun, because it ain't cheap also

Old 05-13-2003, 09:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Add me to the list. My leak was at the base where the oil line connects to the bottom of the tank. A slight crack. I cleaned it up. Removed the paint and JB welded it. That leak is no more. But, there's always a but right? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Where the right tank bolt mount is it developed a crack there to. Just to the left of the bolt along the north and south of the tank. Now its got a JB weld area there to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's not pretty but it's less expensive than a $200 after market oil tank.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

I went through 3 tanks before buying a aftermarket one. I figured the money was worth it since I got tired of fixing it. Its amazing that yamaha says its not a problem but they never have any in the warehouses.
Oil tank cracks, frame cracks, and the tranny dying. I love my 01 raptor.
My father in law(motorcycle mechanic) preps my quad before I go to a race but still there seems to always be something that goes wrong with the quad. Does anybody know of a company that makes a frame for it? I have welds on my welds.

Quick Reply: Raptor oil tank leaking