Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yamaha banshee - good/bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yamaha banshee - good/bad?

I have been thinking about picking up a banshee - seen a few 2001's at the dealer for 5k out the door. Are these bikes pretty reliable? ARe they oil injected or do you have to mix? How are they on gas? Seems like every one I see has some mods done to it. I am debating a banchee or a z400 just for kicks. I love raw power but would also like the handling as a complete package. What are the differences in different years from like 98 to 2003? Thanks for your help

Mark

Old 05-13-2003, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Dude, The banshe requires tlc No matter what year it is...I Love my shee and would not trade it for anything...If you want a bike that rips get the shee...I don't know this for a fact but they say you have to rebuild the shee every 60 hours?!?!?.....As for the price I picked my 03 L.E. for 5400.....DOn't let them rip you!

Old 05-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

well in my opinion the banshee does rip!!! it will be a little harder on gas and with the more mods the more gas you burn. you don't have an oil injector, so you do have to mix fuel. yea i think the banshee is the biggest rush to ride, but it does take alot more work. you will need to rebuild, but i've heard good and bad stories. i think for maximum performance you should rebuild every season. as for handling, i have no problems on mine. as for have they changed. i think they have stayed the same for a long time. thay are like the same exact design and everything. but i think 5 for a 2001 seems a little high. just my opinion, but ride the z400 to and make sure you pick the one u like the most

mini

Old 05-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Mini I agree with you on the price that does seem high!

Old 05-13-2003, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to get a 01 for like $4000.00

Old 05-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Royalty Rider

They both are good bikes, I have rode both and hope you will do the same before making any major purchases.

The Banshee is a great bike that offers a lot a power but there is also that something about the KFX/Z400. Just make sure you check them both out and decide what is right for you.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: shaunonl1
Dude, The banshe requires tlc No matter what year it is...I Love my shee and would not trade it for anything...If you want a bike that rips get the shee...I don't know this for a fact but they say you have to rebuild the shee every 60 hours?!?!?.....As for the price I picked my 03 L.E. for 5400.....DOn't let them rip you!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] NO ! shaunon, dont listen to whom ever is saying that 60 hours crap. Banshees can be every bit as reliable as any four stroke, Probably more,they have alot less moving parts. It depends how you want your banshee to be biult, If you want to keep it stock with some bolt-on mods,Then I would bet that it would last years with out any maintainence(other than regular maintainance), You just have to use a good pre-mix,and DO NOT lean your mixture out to try and get alittle more power, you will not gain but alittle(barely noticable) and it will cook the top-end.

However, if you cross that line and want your Banshee HOT!!! you probably will need to freshen up the top-end every season or two, depending on your level of mods,and how how hard you are on your machine.

I would love to buy another banshee before they are gone, I and I believe I would keep it BONE-STOCK this time.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Range Rover

I absolutly love the Shee but there is a few things to consider befor buying. I agree with everybody that has replied. But if you havent ridden a bike or quad before I would suggest a four stoke. It is a little easier to ride and easier to learn on. And also consider where you are going to be riding, if you are going to be doing alot of trail riding I would recommend a four stroke.

Old 05-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

everyone says trailriding is all about 4 strokes, but i have a shee and my dad has a rappy (both great quads) and i would personally prefer the shee onm trails. i love the way it handles and all of the wheel spin. i don't understand how the 4 strokes are so much better, becuase i have tried both, you just have to run them differently.

mini

Old 05-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Range Rover

Im not saying that a Shee isnt good in trails I also like the way it handles but for someone unexperianced a 4 stroke is a lot easier to trail ride because of the torque, you can lug the motor and it will still have enough power to drive around instead of a lot of shifting and sliping the clutch to help keep the revs up. If your not used to it it can be a bad experiance.

Quick Reply: yamaha banshee - good/bad?