Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Starter rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Starter rotation question

Hi, long story but I got a 1992 Warrior that the starter was recently rebuilt. It was never tried, bad wiring. Anyhow I believe that the starter is turning the wrong way. I went back to the guy that they had rebuild the starter and he said he really didn't have a way to tell if it is right, but he thought it was put together correct.

When you are looking at the starter gear on the end of the starter it is turning clockwise. Now when I reach in to the gear that the starter engages, it seems like it should be turning the other way in order to engage and turn over the motor. Anyhow this is driving me nuts (and my kids :-) trying to troubleshoot this. Everything I looked at on the motor tells me the starter should be turning the opposite way, can anyone help?? I would certainly appreciate it. Again if you face the starter motor looking at the gear on the end of the starter it is turning clockwise. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well just in case anyone read this I found the answer to my question. When looking at the gear on the starter it should turn counter clockwise. Oddly enough mine was turning clockwise. The person that rebuilt the starter for the previous owner used the wrong holder for the brushes and had the negative brush in the wrong place. We moved it 180 degrees with a different holder (modified to fit) and starter now turns counter clockwise and Warrior now starts right up.

For me this one goes in the record book with the car battery I once bought that was charged reverse polarity.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

i know this is an old post but the same thing is happening to me right now..
i have a 99 warrior and the starter was crapping out..
so i removed it and cleaned it up and put it back togather and its turning clockwise..
it went back togather the same way i took it apart but some how the rotation was reversed..

man ive been looking every were for any info on this and thought i was going crazy..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I remember this well, it drove me crazy for quite a while. Like I said in the post the problem was where the one brush was located, when we rotated it 180 degrees the problem was solved. Possibly did you get the one brush on the "wrong side" of the starter?

Old 01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

no it has a knotch so it will only go on 1 way. the hot brush is the only 1 i removed when i cleaned it.
well after seeing your post i knew i wasnt crazy.. so i went back in my barn and opened it up again,
cleaned it again and put it back togather, just like i did about 50 times yesterday. befor i jumped it i
spun it in a counter clockwise motion and hit the power and it kept going. i removed the power and hit it again..
it seemed to work. so i put it back in the quad and it fired right up. i started it up about 10 or so times and every
time it started right up..
thanks for your post. i thought i was wrong when i knew i wasnt. man what a crappy feeling..
thanks bro.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting, must have been just postioned or something where it pulled it the wrong way. Glad to help, glad it is working for you.....have fun riding...