1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

6 wire key switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 wire key switch

Hi all I'm in need of your help I pick up a
Used 50cc chinese quad for my grandson
All it need is a key switch the guy says
But I can't locate the correct one, I only find one
Kind and it doesn't fit , any chance someone
Knows which wires I can use to start , bypass, something? ???

Old 08-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

How are you making out with this? I have a similar issue and i bought the standard 4 wire ignition from the local chinese quad dealer, they told me it should still work, however it doesnt, nothing happens when i turn it on and push start button. I did see a couple 6 wire ignitions for sale on ebay, you may want to try that. Let me know how you make out.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The only 6 wire setups I have come across use the extra two wires for high and low beam lights, if yours does, leave these two wires off and a four wire switch should work the ignition, provided you got the right one, as some CDIs need the kill wire connected to earth to run, some need it disconnected to run.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

is there a way to tell what your cdi needs from the ignition? I would guess that whatever its looking for its not getting cause nothing works. If i put 12 volts to the starter motor it turns over but i get no spark.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Disconnect the kill wire from the CDI, it is usually black/white but, whatever colour, will be the only one that goes directly from CDI to switch, If the bike then sparks when the starter is fed 12v you have a disconnect to run type. However as nothing works you must have connected the other three wires up wrong and may have blown the CDI by feeding it battery positive down the kill wire.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have just seen your other post where it states the bike is a Buyang, so googled the diagrams and it looks like Buyang uses decidedly "non standard" wiring systems, so the extra wires may not be for the lights. Buyangs are good quads, they have some tie in with Loncin, makers of the best Honda clone engines, and the frames are sturdy and well designed, it is well worth getting going, but you will need the right wiring diagram to sort that one out.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been looking for a wiring diagram or any info really but because its a 04 its proving to be difficult. I did find an owners manual for the newer version of the same machine but it has some options this one doesn't. I'm afraid if i just replace the CDI with one from amazon the same thing will happen again.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yes, the best way is to get inside the head of the person who designed the wiring, from the drawing, often you find the newer set up was based on the older one.

Again from your other post, you were surprised that the CDI isn't "live", most aren't, as the AC ones draw their power direct from the alternator, or a separate coil on it, and are more like magnetos than modern car ignition systems. Hence the need for a "kill wire" wired through the ignition switch, but separate from the battery feed part of the switch.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I will do more investigating tonight, of the wiring diagrams ive seen they just don't look the same as what I am seeing. If you were me what would you be doing? If I cant get the thing to attempt to start would changing the CDI really do anything?