1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Taotao ATK125A won't go fast in any gear!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taotao ATK125A won't go fast in any gear!?

Hey everyone,
We just bought a Taotao atk125a for our son for xmas. I had to adjust the carb to make or it would stall. The issue we are having is that it just doesn't go very fast, in any gear. Starting in 1st gear, it goes maybe 10km/h, if you shift to 2nd and 3rd gear, it actually slows down. Also, there is virtually no low end power. Any suggestion on how to fix these issues? And I am no gear head, but do have a friend that could work on it if it is required.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2016, 03:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I was thinking someone with a Taotao would jump in, but as nobody has.

Check the valve clearances, they may have been set wrong. Clean the carb out, dirt in a jet could be the problem. If there is a throttle stop for max speed, it may be set too low, and if it does rev up, but doesn't go very fast, the clutch may need adjustment.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
I was thinking someone with a Taotao would jump in, but as nobody has.

Check the valve clearances, they may have been set wrong. Clean the carb out, dirt in a jet could be the problem. If there is a throttle stop for max speed, it may be set too low, and if it does rev up, but doesn't go very fast, the clutch may need adjustment.
Thanks for the reply. I have never done anything like this before. I know the carb on it and can probably manage that and check for the throttle stop. But how would one check the clutch?

Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

First off did you change the oil? unless you bought it pre assembled and PDI'd. The throttle limit is on the bars its a screw by the thumb control. Im assuming your the one riding it and you may be heavier than the machine can handle. Im 6'2 180lbs and if im out running the machine it will actually take a bit for it to get back up to speed in 2,3rd gear. I would let your kid ride it first and go from their. After the first few hours do another oil change. Once everything gets broken in and loosed up the speed should get better.
Also don't be cheap with your oil a good synth atv compatible oil is your friend.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it rev normally in neutral? If not then possible carb issue...if yes, then I'd look at the clutch next...

Old 12-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol

pretty much guarantee its a weight issue. i cant remember off the top of my head but im pretty sure the weight limit is under 100lbs, It would need to have the front or rear gear changed a few teeth to give it a bit more low end grunt so it can get up to speed easier in the higher gears with more weight on it

Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I have the manual for the Honda 70 motorcycle, your 125 engine is based on it so probably has the same gearbox

I have to test quads out that I mend, and ride round the yard on 50s, 70s etc, they all pull my 220lbs weight, though most are "rev and go" with belt drive.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Just watched some utube vids. That buggy seems to take a bit to get up to speed with adults in it from what i watched.