Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 250 AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 250 AC problems

Bought this atv without a carb. Put new carb on and adjusted it. It seems to run ok in low range but dont have alot of power in high range on top end. 5th gear is useless unless your on flat ground. This thing has huge tires on it. They are really tall. Im beginning to think this might be some of my troubles. also I put a new selinoid on it and will not start with the push button. I hear a clicking sound when button is pushed but its not coming from the selinoid. I need some input guys what could be my troubles?

Old 08-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the click your hearing is from a relay by the battery. bike has to be in neutral to start with the starter. doesnt matter with a pull start tho. the big tires will make a difference in power but i dont think it would make a gear completely useless tho. starter is easy to get to. wouldnt hurt to pull it and check it out. i pulled mine (01 300 ac) and the gear is striped on the end of the armature. now i get to pull the side of the motor off to see if the ring gear inside is messed up

Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by eggenz7
the click your hearing is from a relay by the battery. bike has to be in neutral to start with the starter. doesnt matter with a pull start tho. the big tires will make a difference in power but i dont think it would make a gear completely useless tho. starter is easy to get to. wouldnt hurt to pull it and check it out. i pulled mine (01 300 ac) and the gear is striped on the end of the armature. now i get to pull the side of the motor off to see if the ring gear inside is messed up
Get this. I can jump across the seliniod and it starts fine. Could the relay be bad? what else could be wrong with the lose of power. Is there any other adjustments on the carb besides the idle and the one on the back of the float bowl?

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

the nuetral light has to be on. when it comes on it kicks a relay beside the battery on which lets the power from the starter button goto the starter solenoid. try taking a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery and put it to the small green wire on the starter solenoid.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by eggenz7
the nuetral light has to be on. when it comes on it kicks a relay beside the battery on which lets the power from the starter button goto the starter solenoid. try taking a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery and put it to the small green wire on the starter solenoid.
there is no green wire that goes to the solenoid that I can see. there is the one from the battery and the one that goes to the starter they are red thats it.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

were are the timing marks and how do I get into them?

Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

i highly doubt the timing is off. but there is a bolt on the flywheel housing that will allow you to see the timing mark.
there has to be atleast a third wire to the solenoid. that is what activates the solenoid to allow the starter to turn. mine has two wires. a green one and a black one. black goes to ground and the green activates the starter. mine also plug into it. they dont have studs to go onto.