ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

84 Honda 250r Disc Brake Collar Removal on AXLE????? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 Honda 250r Disc Brake Collar Removal on AXLE????? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need a little help. I am restoring my 84 250r and I am trying to get the axle out of the swingarm. I got the locknuts off but now I am at the Disc brake collar. There is no instructions in my manual for removing this!! It holds on the disc brake and spins with the axle. I don't know if it is threaded on or it has splines and slides on and off. I lightly tapped it to see if it would spin or just slide off and I got no where. I don't wanna hit it to hard b/c I don't wanna break it. Anyone with any insite please post. The swingarm is the last to paint along with that collar, so I want to get that done this weekend. THANKS

Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 84 Honda 250r Disc Brake Collar Removal on AXLE????? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The "collar" is what I was refering to in the last post when I said "hub". Remove both wheels, remove the left wheel hub, remove the lock nuts, spray the Collar down with penitrating oil, use a good strong 4X4 and a heavy hammer, beat the axle out of the bike, It takes some pretty good hitting, After you get it apart put some "anti-sieze" on those splines that way it will come apart easy next time you need it to........That Collar actually rusts to the axle and there a bear to get out.........Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

OH OK!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY! When you said hub I thought you meant wheel hub!! HA SWEEEEET THat will give me something to do tomorrow!! This is the last of my resto project. I get my engine back by June 1st. Sent the seat out to have it re done w/ all the oem letters on it!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!
Chris

Old 05-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

OK!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I just got in from the garage and was hammering away w/ my bro on the axle and I think it has moved a little but not only is the axle moving so is the bearing carrier!?! Is this normal?? Also the threads where the axle hub nut goes are starting to get chewed up. I put the nut on to protect the threads and the fingers on the nut are now bent a little. So I don't really wanna hammer on it anymore. I think I am going to have to have done for me. I even used a piece of wood to protect the end of the axle but obvious that didn't work.
Anyone have any other opinions please post!
Thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

told you it would be tight!!!!!!! Only other thing I can offer you is to take the bearing carrier and axle out as one hole peice and take it to a local shop and have them remove it with heat and a press....... I have had the sme problem, but I cut the "colar" off by splitting it with a die grinder and bought a new one. 20+ years of rust can be a Bear to get past!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well on tuesday, I called the local Honda dealer and they pretty much said no, we don't wanna do it!! They said that, that is a fall or winter project!! I was like no, it is a NOW project that I am doing. I said I will never go there or buy anything there, and I will take my business else where. Anyone from Williamsport, Pa area that business is BOB LOGUES!!!!!!!!!!!! I took it to Wheels of Williamsport, a super super great new showroom and building!! VERY VERY NICE!!! I paid 100 bucks (1st 2 hrs of labor), and they said it should be no problem!!
I went to my buddies house monday night, he has a 10 ton press. That didn't work after looking at it, b/c the top where the press comes down hit the axle and the bottom was on the brake disc collar, so it was actually just pushing against its self. At some point the press needed to hit the swingarm to push it out!! I will post back when and if they can get it out!! THANKS for all the help THRASH!!!!!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Anytime man.........If shipping wasn't so expencive I would do it for you.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

So I just picked up my swingarm and axle today and it was still together. They couldn't even get it!! Was wondering where I could find a brake collar?? They heated it and soaked it and nothing. Since they heated it, my bearing dust seal is gone. So I will eventually need to get bearings so they will have to cut the collar off to replace the bearings. So I am just going to have to tape everything up and paint the swingarm and replace the sprocket and start puting things back together. The engine should be done soon.