Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Polaris Sportsman 500/Honda Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2000, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just getting into the ATV world and looking to buy the best machine. From what I can see its between Rubicon and Sportsman.

suspension - Polaris
Hondamatic transmission/belts - Honda
4X4-Polaris
dependability-Honda
Price-Honda
weight-Honda
ground clearance-Polaris
turning radius-Polaris

I probably could not go wrong with either machine, but would like a little more impute before I invest my hard earned money into a fine piece of machinery.

Old 06-15-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

The Rubicons are just coming out, you are going to have to wait until more info is available.

I can tell you from what I have read so far & how much I like my Rancher that if I had $7,000, it would be no contest on which one I would get.

The Rubicon.

Old 06-15-2000, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

If you love to wrench on your stuff, get yourself an sp. Although the rubicon is unproven, with honda's track record I'd be more than comfortable investing my hard earned money into this new bike! I think the new tranny is the wave of the future, so long belts.

Old 06-15-2000, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

The Sportsman is $500 less than our Honda dealer will sell the Rubicon for.

Old 06-15-2000, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

I probably have bought more Hondas than any three of the people on this post. My current ride--Polaris 500 Sportsman ---Has 900 Trouble free miles so far and doesn't seem to be troube prone. The Rubys new transmission system seems overly complicated to me. Time will tell whether it will be as trouble free as their manual shift models. I still say there is nothing wrong with the Salisbury type transmissions. Honda used them in the Pilot and other manufacturers used them in their other vehicles as well a high horsepower snowmobiles. I have noticed more wheelers getting more "Polaris Like" than Polaris following them.

Gardner10

Old 06-15-2000, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

I will probably hear it from the Polaris people after this. I owned a 1999 SP500 and sold it to buy a Rubicon. After riding both machines, I definitely like the Rubicon better than the sportsman. The ride is almost as good as the sportsman (very close), the tranny is better (smooth and very quiet),it turns easier, throttle response is better, and the entire operation of the machine is smoother than the sportsman. The ground clearance on the Rubicon is 10 inches, which according polaris specs is 1 inch less than the sportsman. However, ground clearance on the sportsman is measured prior to any weight on the machine. The independant suspension on the sportsman gives when weight is added, whether it is the weight of the rider,weight of any cargo being carried, a trailer being pulled. It is possible to have no more than 6-7 inches of ground clearance on the sportsman. The ground clearance on the rubicon is a constant 10 inches. Being able to switch from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive does not matter to me in the least in this case. The Rubicon handles superbly without being able to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive. The dealer I bought mine from also thinks it handles superbly. By the way he also sells Polaris. The Rubicon seems to be built like a rock. And last but not least, Honda is noted for its reliability and dependability. I had a chance to choose between the sportsman and the rubicon and it is obvious what I chose. I took a chance and I believe made the right choice. I had mine paid for a month before it came in. For now the future looks great with the Rubicon. There is no telling what will come out next. An atv with power steering? Ride both machines before you choose. Anyway, the whole idea is to ride and have fun. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2000, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

How can the snowmolible type tranny shift any smoother?There is no gears it's just gas and goes.

Old 06-16-2000, 11:12 AM
Range Rover

Ride the Rubicon, You will see. Try it you might like it. There is no hesitation at all.

Old 06-16-2000, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

When you get the bike on a nice safe straight can you let us know what the top speed is, I would rather here it from a owner than a magazine I don't trust them much anymore.

Thanks, Tim.

Old 06-16-2000, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

I agree. You know, a lot also depends on the rider not just the machine.
Have fun and keep riding.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 500/Honda Rubicon