Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Confused about buying a atv

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2000, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gone threw every post and I'm still confused. I know what I want but each specific thing would be found on each model. I'd like a automatic but I don't want the belt to slip. I want honda for reliability but I like the idea of taking it out of 4 wheel drive. I like Electric shift but you have to shift under certain rpms which could get you in trouble threw mud. Size wise I'd like around a 400. Alittle bigger alittle smaller no biggy. It's gonna be used for fun and hunting. It's a toss up between Yamaha and Honda. Rancheres or 450 foreman or grizzly or kodiak.They both have graet things about them but they both have there faults. What I need to know is compared to each other what would be better??? Money is not a issue. Your help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Old 07-16-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm confused also--please answer my respectful question. I've seen the term, "Rancheres" on the Forum. Pardon my ignorance, but is "Rancheres" Canadian French for what we gringoes call, "Rancher?"

New subject: I don't pressume to steer your thinking in selecting your new ATV; however, you said you wanted an automatic without belt slip. You also said price was no object. Considered a Rubicon? That machine fits a few of your criteria (e.g., automatic without belt), I think.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-16-2000, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

for what you are talking about doing with the quad, i would possibly condider a polaris..
i dont know everything about them, but i do think
i have some knowledge cause we had two of them
Belt slippage was NEVER a problem with our two..
that does not mean that it never happens, but at least it didnt in our case.. my personal machine was a 400 scrambler, and it never gave a lick of trouble while i owned it... i now have an 89 trx 250r, cause i wanted more power..i got it!!
thanks for reading...

fill 'er up, and lets go!!

Old 07-16-2000, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer

I sounded just like you two years ago when I was infected with ATVitis. I was out of work with knee surgery and nothing to do but go online and read about ATV's. When I got back on my feet I went and tried some out at dealers. Money wasn't the object, it was getting what I wanted. The specs are confusing but getting on the machines makes the decision much easier. I opted for a 98 Big Bear 4x4 and I'd do it again. It was a great first machine and did all I asked and then some for a reasonable price. I've since sold it and am shopping again, this time I've fine tuned my needs and will probably get an 01 Kodiak. Only you can make up your mind. What's good for others may not fit your bill.

Good luck, damguy

Old 07-17-2000, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

Based on what YOU said YOU wanted, YOU would be happiest with a Kodiak. The Kodiak will serve up what YOU desire. (I emphasize YOU cuz its different for a lot of people)

Old 07-17-2000, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

I own a Rancher 4x4 ES, would I recommend it, the answer is Yes. The you should test ride the quads you mentioned plus any others! Its your money you have to be happy with the decision you make. I almost purchased a Kodiak, that a good bike also. The grizzly seemed a little big to me.

Good Luck

Old 07-17-2000, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

buy whatever YOU want. You can take our opinions into condsideration but if you have aprehensions about any quad do not buy it. You will nitpic the quad to death. I didn't get a magnum 500 because i simply do not trust belt dirve transmission, and the first time it slipped on me i would have burnt it to the ground.
I opted for the RancherES 4x4 and have never once regreted it. why because that is what i wanted not because it was recommended to me. In fact i know noone personally that ownes or has ever riden a rancher other than myself.

basically you need to ride them all and pick the one YOU like the best.
cart

Old 07-17-2000, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tree Farmer sorry you were confused about the rancheres I was suppose to put a space the es on the end is for electric shift!!!

Old 07-18-2000, 09:08 AM
Range Rover

First off on your comment about the Electric Shift system, you do not have to shift at certain RPMs. I shift mine all throughout the range of RPMs. If I have it wide open in mud and it starts bogging, then I throw it in a lower gear. It is just like a manual tranny with no foot shifter. I would suggest the Rancher ES 4x4. Very nice quad. But I think your best bet is to do what I did and go to every different dealer around looking at all the different brands. Test drive them. If one dealer will not let you then head to the next one. I found around here that maybe 1 in 3 dealers let me test drive them. So those other 2 will not get my business. It's like buying a car without a test drive.

Old 07-20-2000, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

I narrowed my big list down to Kodiak and Polaris 500 Sportsman. Spent a couple of days on both. Kodiak was what I thought I wanted until I spent time on both. Kodiak a little easier to steer, but the vibration at the end of the day wiped out the lighter steering. Being on a SP 500 all day is like riding on a Lincoln. No fanny fatigue. No vibrating hands. Mu buddy with his Kodiak Had lots of problems......in the shop for weeks waiting for parts........traded it for a traxter. I still have my sp500 and I love it. Parts are cheap and avalable, unlike the Kodiac.
SP500 better if you are big.....tall and 200 lbs

good luck

Hugh

Quick Reply: Confused about buying a atv