Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda, Suzuki, or Can-Am

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda, Suzuki, or Can-Am

Hey Guys

I'm looking to upgrade to buy a brand new quad somewhere in the midrange class. But not sure what to buy. Right now I have a 2001 Honda TRX350m 4x4, but want to upgrade to someting with a little more power and better ride.

I looked at 3 quads today. Honda Rubicon (Canadian Trail Edtion), Suzuki Kingquad 450 4x4, and the Can-am Outlander 400XT. All seemed like really nice quads but can't decicde what to buy. Just wondering what you guys opinion on these 3 machines.

I like honda but at the moment I kind of focusing more on the suzuki or the can-am because they are cheaper priced and better ride quality. The Honda seemed more like a work bike.

I only looked at these 3 brands so far because the dealerships are fairly close to where I live.

Out of these 3 what would u guys choose.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

If I were choosing, I wouldn't get the Honda 'cause they don't have low-range and are full-time 4x4 only. I wouldn't get the Can-am because I've heard bad things about their frames. The KQ-450 is supposed to be a GREAT bike. That's where I'd put my money.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

Actually the Honda has a hydrostatic auto trans with a high and low range, and even the option of an electric shif mode. They also can switch between 2wd-4wd. Just no diff lock mode.

But I am looking more seriusly at the Suzuki. Looks like they made alot of improvements from olders ones. I'm just not too crazy about the idea of belt drive.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Honestly, I would be more inclined to rely on a belt-driven tranny than an ATV with a chain/sprocket final drive. Belt drives have been used on snowmobiles since their inception and it's rare that they burn a belt up. Just not a terrible idea to carry a spare if you go way out into the wilds, but that would go equally for a chain drive quad as well.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

Ride all three before you decide.

You'll get a ton of opinions from the forums, some good some bad. I recently did a ton of research to pick a 2 up machine. For me the dealer mad the difference. All the major companies make a great quad, but the dealer makes a good quad great or can make a good quad a major pain.

When I bought my first quad five years ago, my local Yamaha dealer really pissed me off. I've purchased 4 machines since then from a different manufacturer. I love the Grizzly and the King Quad (he sells them both) but I refuse to give my hard earned money to a dealer that treats me like crap before I even buy anything.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

I've spent the last year looking, riding and researching quads to by my first one and I've found that the best way to do it is:

Figure out what you want to do with the machine - trail riding, work, hunting or a combination

Then what type of terrain you'll be in - rocks, mud, rough woods, mountains, farming, plowing, whatever.

Then understand that every manufacturer makes a great quad, but every manufacturer has some vocal (and justified) people that have had problems.

Different quads have different strengths - match up a quad to what you want to do with it.

Over the last year I've compiled an incomplete list of strengths of different machines. (Incomplete because I didn't consider them all 'cause dealers were too far away.) These are based on personal experience as well as opinions that I have heard over and over. If you live where it gets cold or have elevation changes, EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) is really nice.

Can-am - Best trail riding machine. Fast, nimble, IRS (Independant Rear Suspension), unbelievable power and that V-twin sounds awsome. EBS (Engine Breaking System) is second to none. XT package is worth every penny. Don't consider one without getting a skid plate (frames are vulnerable to damage under seemingly light impact). The visco lock is great except in very technical off camber situations.

Honda - Reliable - always starts and the electric shift is great. Zero innovation. Solid rear axle (good for hauling a load and beating the crap out of the driver over rough ground). Also, its known as having three wheel drive - not in a good way (no locking front differential). Not a good choice for mud/snow.

Polaris - Well deserved bad rap in the mid '90s. They currently have, IMO, the toughest, smoothest machine out there. Automatic, IRS and very smooth, unnoticable front end engagement in AWD (All Wheel Drive). The plow system is very innovative (high lifting, and only 1/4" ground clearance lost with the mount system). There is tons of storage on board (great for hunting). Season closeout prices are always awsome. Deluxe model has aluminum wheels, winch and ADC (Automatic Decent Control) which works with the EBS and engages the front wheels during a down hill ride (much safer than previous rear breaking only) now as good as Can-am. A very solidly built machine, but heavy because of it. #2 for trail riding. Best all around machine.

Artic Cat - Great work machine. A bit top heavy.

Susuki - I've heard good things, but didn't really look into them.

Yamaha - Also good things. Good mudder. Fully locking front differential.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM

I don't have as much experience with the Suzuki or Can-Am ATVs so my opinion is a little one sided. I grew up working on a farm where only Honda ATVs and Dirt Bikes were used. We literally beat the crap out of them hauling, pulling, riding rough etc.... You know how it is.. you always treat the toys you ride different when you aren't the one paying for them. And those Hondas both old and new made it through it all. They seemed indestructable.
Since then I have owned a number of Honda ATVs and have been more than impressed with Honda's durability and performance. I have two Rubicon 500s and we love them. Great trail riding. They feel very stable and firm compared to other ATVs that feel top heavy (tipsy) and fishy. I haven't had much luck with other brands as far as holding up and performance, but like I said I haven't used a Suzuki or Can-AM before. I don't think you will regret paying a little more for the Honda. I think you will get your moneys worth in the long run!