General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Good beginner ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginner ATV?

I am very interested buying an ATV some time soon. Where I live there is a lot of open beach, sand dunes and trails that are ideal for riding. I've never owned a quad, and have little experience riding one, but I don't want to invest in something that can't provide a good ol' fashioned adrenaline rush. I was looking at a Raptor 350 or even a 400EX. Would an ATV with that displacement be too much for a first quad? Also, I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" 200lbs), so mini quads are out of the question :P.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

If you are of sain mind any quad will work for a first quad. It is a matter of being able to learn and grow into whatever you get. Always be humble in your capabilities and take your time and learn. Wear a helmet and have a blast. With that said I would opt for the 400 EX or bigger. You can always leave the power alone, but you can't use what you don't have.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Trailblazer

depends on what you want. something like a recon, or small grizz is a good option if you want a ute. if you want a sport, i would recommend a 250 or 300ex. you should try one out. they are fairly cheap and are great machines, put out plenty of power for a beginner and you can get lots of goodies to open it up as you want. but if you really want a big bore and get a smaller one you may be dissapointed later, in that case get one. just get a stock machine and take it easy for a bit. many beginners get a "experienced rider machine" like a 450r just to impress people and get hurt or dont like the top end and are sorry they did. i would recommend something a little more tame. depends on the type of person you are.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For dune and trail riding and adrenaline rushes, I would stay with the 400EX or larger sport quad. Sand robs a lot of power, but it is super fun to ride in. If you are going folr a new quad, I don't think you can do much better for an all around machine than the Suzuki Z400. More features at a similar price to the 400EX. For an adult male of your size, I wouldn't be afraid to grab a 450 or even open class machine either, as long as you are the type to stay within your limits. Do yourself a favor, browse around to get a general feel for the machines that interest you. Even if you can't take them for a test ride, spend some time sitting on different models.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by roarintauren
I am very interested buying an ATV some time soon. Where I live there is a lot of open beach, sand dunes and trails that are ideal for riding. I've never owned a quad, and have little experience riding one, but I don't want to invest in something that can't provide a good ol' fashioned adrenaline rush. I was looking at a Raptor 350 or even a 400EX. Would an ATV with that displacement be too much for a first quad? Also, I'm a pretty big guy (6'4" 200lbs), so mini quads are out of the question :P.
I own a 02 yamaha warrior 350, which basically was replaced by the raptor 350 recently. Same motor but put in a raptor frame. It's got decent power and a nice feeling power band. No ground pounder but it gets the job done with power to spare and is very fuel efficient. I bought it because I don't care for the big tank utility quads and wanted something a little more sporty and with a reasonable weight. It rides good and is comfortable and I take it on some pretty harsh, rough trails and some really sandy and steep areas and it handles it just fine. Watch out for ground clearance on the quad you choose. I know the warrior's got larger diameter tires which really help with ground clearance, although I have still managed to bury the rear sprocket in sand, dirt and a fallen tree once. Raptors and some other newer quads look to have some really small diameter rear tires, that might be a deal breaker if you're like me and like to off-road it through some harsh terrain.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

raptor 350s are amazing i have one my self and im around ur height and weight and it pulss me across 40ft doubles with ease

Old 06-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I agree with the former posts. If you like the Raptor 350, then go for it. It is a decent ride, won't do anything stupid or leave you on the trail. It may not be the rocket but it is a dependable ride that can keep up...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

They never have enough power.

Remember, a fast ATV can go slow but a slow ATV can't go fast.

I have seen Dodge Vipers slowly move around a crowed Wal Mart parking lot,but never seen a Dodge Neon run the Quarter mile in 12 seconds.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

well... i would consider myself a begginer to intermediate rider and im getting a 300ex this week. i think a 300ex would be a perfect starter quad if you are bigger.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

My 400ex was my first quad. It was easy to learn on with power you can grow into. I'm about your same size (6'5" - 200). The 400ex fits me fine. I would not recommend anything much smaller though. A 300ex feels cramped to me. Warrior/Raptor are ok. If you are riding in any sand definitely go with a 400 or bigger.