Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

4wd but would like 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd but would like 2wd

Hello,

This is my first post, so please be kind.

I have purchased a trx500fa 2002 model, it is a fantastic bike and I love riding it about as much as possible.

But the thing that is only slightly annoys me is that it doesnt have 2wd-4wd selection.
Is there anyway of adding this to the bike? I'm guessing not, but I'm not experienced as yet to the workings of the gears etc. so I thought I'd ask.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Billy

Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Warn used to make a selectable hub for quads with full time 4wd systems. I looked around on warn.com but couldn't find them.

Try warn 424 in Transmissions & Chains | eBay for a kit.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks MooseHendon, I had a quick look on fleabay and found this http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=93673357350

I guess this is the type of thing I need?

If do then I will start saving for it.

The main reason why the 4wd annoys me is when driving on the grass outside the house to park it, the wheels tear the grass up so much that the other half isn't best pleased with me!!
Do you think this will help solve the problem or do I need something that will let the wheels slip independently, like a slip diff?

Old 01-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by BillyTheSparks
Thanks MooseHendon, I had a quick look on fleabay and found this Honda TRX500 Rubicon 4x4 2001 04 Warn 424 Style Drive Shaft Switchout 62616 | eBay

I guess this is the type of thing I need?

If do then I will start saving for it.

The main reason why the 4wd annoys me is when driving on the grass outside the house to park it, the wheels tear the grass up so much that the other half isn't best pleased with me!!
Do you think this will help solve the problem or do I need something that will let the wheels slip independently, like a slip diff?
It's about the only setup I know of that will allow you to go in and out of 4wd.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Is the front wheels tearing it up or rear?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the question LT80

Mainly the rear, as when turning all the wheels are moving at the same speed. So thinking about it now, disengaging the front wouldn't really help that much, would it?
So having something that lets the wheels turn at different speeds would be better than just having 2wd.
I doubt that there is anything to solve this, I'll do a bit of googling in a bit.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its the rear that tear up the lawns because there lock together as one and always turn at the same speed.
Your front wheels are limited slip where only one wheel turns at a time, so its not the problem. Without diff lock a 4x4 is really a 3x4.

The only limited slip rear wheel ATV was made by Polaris, they called it "Turf Mode".

Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by TLC
Its the rear that tear up the lawns because there lock together as one and always turn at the same speed.
Your front wheels are limited slip where only one wheel turns at a time, so its not the problem. Without diff lock a 4x4 is really a 3x4.

The only limited slip rear wheel ATV was made by Polaris, they called it "Turf Mode".
TLC's got it pretty much right except it is a fully open differential with true one wheel drive. I had it on a Sportsman X2 and a Polaris ATP. It did help to not tear up the lawn, but, again, I think Polaris was the only maker to offer it.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

To the OP...tires also make a difference. If you are running true MUD tires...that certainly does not help.

Yeah...nothing can be done in your situation about the rear tearing up the grass. We all have that issue!

biz

Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll let the other half know that there isn't anything that can be done for the foreseeable future. She'll just start pestering me to get the lock-up (shed) sorted!

Many thanks again

Regards
Billy