Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

wet Rancher won't start, danger sign?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet Rancher won't start, danger sign?

Hi,
I'm shopping for a used machine and I am just learning about them, never having owned one before.
I found a 2009 Honda TRX 420 FA9 (Rancher automatic transmission, 4wd). It has low hours (40) but looks as if it was kept outside. I've read up on what to look for in a used machine. The welds look good, there is some rust on the racks. I couldn't find the oil dipstick (nor could the dealer)! The air cleaner was foam and it was filthy.
It has a Warn plow and winch, chains on the tires. One wheel (back right) is rusty and looks like it must have replaced one because all the others are rust free.

The dealer said it ran great yesterday and then it was pressure washed. Now it cranks but won't start. Is this something one would expect after a pressure wash? I'm thinking this may not be the one for me...Any thoughts would be welcome as I have a lot to learn. I'm starting to think I may need to get a used one. I'm really afraid of buying someone else's problem...

Old 12-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Honda quad electrics are particularly good at being waterproof, but enthusiastic pressure washing can get water into the HT lead and short it out, I normally keep the engine running so the engine's heat steams any water round there off. However rodent damage or faulty seals round connectors can cause difficult to find electrical problems. If the dealer gets it running by drying the coil/HT lead and plug, it is probably not going to be any more trouble. The oil filler is behind the plastic side panels, they just pull off.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Merryman,

That's very helpful. Given that it's been kept outside, rodent damage is not impossible. I'll look it over carefully for that. Also, will see if drying the lead and plug works.

It looked like working on this thing would not be easy. Everything is really tucked away. Are these maintainable by do-it-yourself'ers?

Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

They are OK for routine services, but faults in the FI system, gearchange electronics etc, are extremely difficult to sort unless you have the Honda dealers tools.