Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher problem starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rancher problem starting

Hi all, I've has this 2002 Rancher since new. It always had a rough idle and when it started overflowing non-stop I put a new carb on it.

OK, it started just fine. Now 2 months later I break the choke cable at the top part, no problem, I order and install a new one. Now the ATV will not start, turns and churns. To make a long story short, I took off the carb to see if there was any binding, etc. All looks well.

BUT, and here's the question: ISNT THE PISTON INSIDE THE CARB SUPPOSED TO GO UP/DOWN WHEN THE THROTTLE IS PRESSED? I took off the little side cover and made sure my throttle cable was still attached inside. While fiddling, I noticed the piston wasn't moving, not stuck because I could slide it with my finger.....

What am I missing here? I hope its not sanity.
I'm suspecting bad gas but this carb thing has got me wondering.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:11 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

No, the piston is sucked up by the vacuum in the carburettor. When the engine is not turning over, no vacuum, so the CD piston just sits there. You didn't need a new carb before, a clean out or, at worst, a new float needle would have cured the overflowing problem. Make sure your choke is working right, the little plunger should be free to move in and out in the carb, and the spring pulls the choke cable back when you turn the choke to the off position.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll check that choke plunger when I get out there again.

It was a bargain to put a new carb on this ATV. Out in the country and it never idled right in the first place. After 12 years the last thing I wanted to do was rebuild it again. I had cleaned the jets once on it.