Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oh Great...I own a STOLEN quad!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm for titling it makes some of that stuff go smoother. Besides I think the 20-30% or so of quads out there should be returned to their rightful owners, and full auto theft charges applied to them. Make no mistake my quads can be stolen, but they are under security, that'll get me insurance money, unlike when I have had vehicles stolen in the past.

Old 08-12-2002, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

Well I can show you what Josh was doing that he cannot tell anyone!Illegal ATV Use

I have to admit that it sucks that all this could happen to anyone..... but then again this guy is ruining the sport of ATV riding! We get a bad rap because of people like this!!!!

Old 08-12-2002, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

The only thing I see thats downright dasterdly is the fricken 50 pop-ups you get going there.. Wheelies arent illegal, wheelies on the road are but he is in the middle of BF egypt..

Old 08-13-2002, 12:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

FRIST most dmv are non liabis which means you can't sue for mistakes
second here in ariz the dmv protects the consumer and if this bike is in your name you own it. This is proabably a inexperianced cop and a good talk will proabably straighten this out if you have proper documentation you should be able to pick your bike up the ins co will have to go after the frauds not you. ps thats if you've been honest about the reason they took it.GGOOD LUCK

Old 08-13-2002, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

<< Well I can show you what Josh was doing that he cannot tell anyone!Illegal ATV Use

I have to admit that it sucks that all this could happen to anyone..... but then again this guy is ruining the sport of ATV riding! We get a bad rap because of people like this!!!!
>>

The road in the pictures is a dirt road located in Montgomery, Vermont. ATV use is allowed on these roads in this town. I'm sure if an officer saw me doing wheelies up it he may say something, but we were doing it as safely is possible, in an area where we did not have to worry about people seeing or complaining about us.

As for the reason I was stopped, Frankly that is none or your business, but I will tell you anyway. The actually reason is because we were sitting at the end of an ATV trail (an old logging road actually). It runs perpendicular to the main road. A cop came down the main road and stopped at the intersection of these two roads. Since this road is an old logging road it is not a town road thus considered private property. In Vermont you need 'written' permission from the landowner in order to ride on private property. Even though this is a riding area where many people ride and it is allowed by the land owner, we did not have written permission.

The officer observed that I did not have my plates on my Banshee nor did I have my paperwork (which I explained earlier), he gave me a ticket for 'No Registration'. I am sure that if I wanted to push this further I may be able to get it dropped since my ATV is legally registered, however he could have also fined us for riding on private property without permission of the land owner, and maybe even other things so I am not going to bother.

Now there are other things that I cannot mention on here, but all that I just said is the ONLY reason a Police officer was involved. He pulled up and whitnessed us on the 'private property'...ran the VIN's of the ATV's...my Banshee came up stolen, and we couldn't find the VIN on the 400 so both were impounded. That is it.

<< ps thats if you've been honest about the reason they took it. >>

Of course I've been honest. There would be no reason to start this post unless I was.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Piranna im sorry to hear about your ATVs it really sucks.

But even though its not my buissness and i dont want to make it that way, you seem to be hiding a lot of stuff. What else could you have possibly done to change our opinion.

If I was in your situation i would spill the hole story, Who cares if the cops read it because so far they only did there job and are not out to get you.

There are a lot of people on here with experiance in this matter and when you say i cant tell you, or cannot mention it, it makes me wonder and im sure a few others.

Either way it sucks and I hope you get your bikes back.

Old 08-13-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

<< But even though its not my buissness and i dont want to make it that way, you seem to be hiding a lot of stuff. What else could you have possibly done to change our opinion.

If I was in your situation i would spill the hole story, Who cares if the cops read it because so far they only did there job and are not out to get you.
>>

Mar,

I am sorry that I am leaving some facts out, but none of them have to do with the fact why the cop was there or anything regarding my quads being taken.

I would be happy to tell any forum member that I have spoken with before, the complete story with all of the details in a Private Message or Email. I will also tell new forum members, but will spare some details.

It's nothing big at all, not even worth talking about really. It's just that this information is available to everybody and I would prefer not to post anything right now.

-Josh

Old 08-15-2002, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey JOSh can u PM me and tell me the whole storie!! rthanks amn

Old 08-16-2002, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

The cop is wrong it can be registered. There is no national database for the vins on atv's as a lot of states do not even require a &quot;real&quot; registration. Massachusetts logs your vin # so no you could not register a stolen atv that was once registered in this state, howewver if it was never registered you could, if it were registered in a different state (certain states apply) you could.
Your screwed the same exact thing happened to my brother inlaw except his neighbor a cop ran the vin when he told him what a great deal he got and how the guy had a garage full of toys for sale. Long story shortened cops went to house ran all the vins none stolen except the one. Seller put the money toward another quad the neighbor cop held the stolen quad (impound is his house) small town. The cop dealt directly with ins comp and bought the quad which was already paid out to original owner. It took 8 months for the cop to take legal possesion of quad which he had to buy from ins company.
Your best bet is to go after the original owner for fraud and possibly the person that sold to you as well. Otherwards your out a lot of money rather a little.

Old 08-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

frist off Piranha could you IM me the missing part you said you can't tell in the public forum please! lol ok all my 86 250r has no vin plate and i have zero paper work for it. and beings how everything has to be titled and noted ect mmmmm i was thinking about getting a new frame anyways, because mines cracked and rewelded but what do i do about engine id. get a esr left side case ? and no i didn't steal it and i know 2 other former ownner's and nor did they' but iv put alot of time money and love into restoreing it back from its horrible display of backwoods engineering and would hate to see it taken and resold for nothing like they do recovered car's and can't be returned to the ownner. this has been in the back of my mind since i noticed the no vin frame,anyone have any advice