Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs xr400r

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to buy ether the xr or ex.is the xr any faster than the ex on top end and can the xr be made street legal? is it hard to make it street legal? thanks

Old 08-23-2002, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

the XR would smoke the EX, just because it weighs a lot less. also there's less power loss in the XR. they can be made street legal where i live (as well as WR250's and 426/400/450's) you need blinkers, and tires. (you might be able to get by without blinkers. the old triumps had none. (no bike inspection in N.B. either.)

Old 08-23-2002, 12:57 AM
The Facility

The XR400R's top speed is 81mph. The XR400R has 30.1HP at the rear wheel.

It can be made street legal.

The easiest way is to get the front and rear turn signals from either a mid 90's XR250L or late model XR650L. You will also need the wiring harness along with the flasher and left handlebar switch. These will work with the XR400s ignition system fine unless you plan to run higher wattage headlight bulbs. If so, send the stator to E-Line for another winding. the L models had a battery to help with this, but the R models do not.

In most states, you will also be required to run a steel fuel tank in order to get an inspection sticker. The XR250L was discontinued one year before the new frame was offered on the XR250s which was the same frame that came on the XR400. That tank MIGHT work, but may require some mods somewhere regarding mounting points. The tank from an XR650L also might work, but you will be in the same predicament as the XR250L fuel tank.
I would check with your state's laws before even bothering with this part of the swap.

Old 08-23-2002, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

i say just stick on any metal gas tank, just to get the sticker, then toss it! i love N.B. because you don't have to inspect motrcycles. i saw a WR400 in Fredericton about 3 years ago, or at least i saw him driving it on the streets. (it had street tires on it, and a plate, so it must have been) man did it sound sweet!!

Old 08-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

thanks guys! I think I will get the xr.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Do a net serch there are companits that sell kits, this will give you everything you need. Some states do require steel tanks others do not. The motors are identical so if you want more torque buy a 400ex cam this is the hot setup now.
If I were you I would look at the DRZ400S, in the end it will cost less than converting a XR and IMO it is a better bike. The XR is nice but dated.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:01 AM
RIP Dear Friend

Thank--goodness you can ride the backroads here as long as you have off-road numbers similar to license plates and are over 16 years old. Lots of folks ride there quads, dirtbikes, mopeds, pack mules, donkeys to work.

As far as I am concerned quads, dirtbikes, and mopeds cause less pollution. Those clumpy pile deposits left by those pack mules and donkeys are a road hazard. If you don't dodge the clumpy pile deposits it clings onto the inner fenders of the quad and then you have a quad that stinks no matter what brand it is.

Chet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

i hear ya, they ride hourses on some trails behind my house, watch out for the dung!! i think i could make a mud bog outta it, i'll let you try it first.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

FYI all the tree huggers curs the car but before the auto tetnus was on the verge of an epidimic. You parked your horse outside the store he left the road apples then they dried and became dust. Just think of every surface in your houst being covered w/ horse **** dust, you were also breathing that mess. The auto and bikes got rid of that.

You can not even cross a road here w/ an off road quad or bike w/o getting ticketed.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:52 PM
RIP Dear Friend

Holly dung heap,

So when we go to town that is what that dust is that I see on the tables in the local bar & grill.

I just never thought about it. When the waitress wipes it up it does have a brown/greenish huh/tint.

I now have another excuse to add to the list of excuses why those people should have to leave there horses, donkeys and pack mules outside of the town limits.

My mission will be to force those animals out. Quads will roam the streets freely without the sudden back and forth jerking of the handlebars which in turn the quad rider could be thrown off and into one of those piles.

Chet[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 400ex vs xr400r