Introduce Yourself Just Joined? Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what you ride. PLEASE DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS FOR HELP IN THIS AREA. Your better off asking in the Brand Discussions Area.

New here and looking for ATV purchase advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and looking for ATV purchase advice.

Hey all. Well I'm not entirely new to the trail exploring. I generally ride a Yamaha TW200 duel sport motorcycle for my trail riding but late last year I purchased a very cheap Suzuki Ozark 250 ATV(that I fixed and got running) so the wife could see if she likes joining me on my trips.

Well fast forward to now and she loves the off roading but just can't get the hang of shifting gears on that Suzuki. Other wise in all reality it's plenty capable for were we ride together.

So now I'm considering getting her a new or newer at least machine that's fully auto and VERY easy to operate. I'd like it to be as reliable as possible and I'd like to keep the cost under $8000cdn.

Options I have been trying to research are the Polaris Sporstman 450 or 570, the Can Am Outlander L 450, and the Honda Rancher 420 IRS DTC. I like the sportsmans as they seem great value for the $$$, but read some questionable things about them more so than the others (I am a Polaris fan my street bike is a Victory). I also like the can am as it seems pretty solid and still relatively simple to use. The Honda has the best reliability record from what I read but its more complicated trans and crazy price are kinda hiccups for me.

Besides trail riding I may get a plow for it to clear my average drive way in the future.

It's not going to be a mudding machine and speed/ performance is not an issue (I do t think she's opened up her 250 all the way yet lol) as again she only rides with me and I'm on two wheels, granted its like a two wheeled ATV but two wheels none the less. It just needs to be a reliable easy to use machine that I'm not going to be pulling my hair out maintaing. I fix trucks and buses for a living repairs are the last thing I want to do when I'm home.

Anyways sorry for the long post but any advice would be appreciated.

Name:  image_zpsssasjh0m.jpeg
Views: 111
Size:  300.4 KB

Old 09-06-2016, 08:48 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't need 4wd, you might even look at something like a Kawasaki Brute Force 300. Its fully auto with both high and low range and is about the same size as the Ozark. I have seen them for less than $4000 U.S brand new. Check out this ride review from atv on demand

Old 09-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hmm never considered Kawasakis Thanks. That being said 4wd though not required is preferred as it will allow myself to use it come winter for plowing purposes.

And a bit larger than her current Ozark would be welcome as well though again not really nessacary.

The wife prefers the looks of the sportsman and the enclosed front storage idea. I am just wary of the many complaints I here about fit and finish and heat issues with the 570. And I can find very little if any info on the sportsman 450ho.

Hoping to drag her out to a couple dealers to try em on for size this weekend. Have a trip planed in late October to go riding and not sure if we want to do it with the Suzuki this time as its slow going because she ends up just leaving it in second or third and we put along lol.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The 450HO uses a detuned version of the 570 engine. I haven't heard of any overheating issues with that version of the engine. The 2017 450HO has been announced as well but it uses a new 499cc prostar engine that will also be used in the new Ranger 500 as well. The dealers should be getting the 2017 models soon so perhaps they will discount the 2016's to make room. Might be able to score a good deal on the 2016 models while they last. I have seen the 2016 450HO base model for $4999 locally, though that's U.S. dollars. Some places even a little less like this one http://evansville.craigslist.org/snd/5752002317.html. The eps model is about $1000 more if that's an option you want. Its still the least expensive new 4x4 quad you can buy.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Go with the Sportsman 570. Great ride, comfort-wise, good on board storage, good power, toting, and towing.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Outlander 450L is a great choice too. I have a friend who has one and really likes it. Quite peppy for a 450cc machine and tops out at around 60 mph. The Honda Rancher would be ok if it were cheaper, its just underpowered compared to the rest. You might even look at the new Polaris Ace. Your wife might like the idea of being able to sit in a machine instead of on it. Its basically a one person utv. The base model is plenty powerful enough, especially the new 2017 which also uses that new 499cc engine. The Ace 570 steps it up a bit but also is more expensive.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thnx all for the advice. Took wife to dealer to look at the Polaris sportsmans and the Hondas. And she far prefers the comfort and layout of the Polaris. Over every other ATV she has looked at.

So looks like we are going to try picking up a 2016 450HO for her as soon as we can find one in the colour she likes.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think she will really like it. It comes in a nice light blue color, might show her that one.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

We pulled trigger on one yesterday afternoon. In the light blue Should work awesom for us.

Quick Reply: New here and looking for ATV purchase advice.