Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

97 kawasaki bayou charging probs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 kawasaki bayou charging probs

Hello, I'm brand new to this group! I'm having issues with my bayou 220, I bought it for my son. The battery is not charging. I've replaced the battery, stator, the rectifier, and solenoid! I've gone through all the wiring visually, and everything seems to check out ok. I'm stumped at this point. I don't know if the generator is bad, or the cdi, or I got a bad rectifier! Please help before I burn this thing yo the ground!!!!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Is the rectifier getting warm when the bike is running, this indicates the alternator is producing power. If so, get a 12v test lamp, disconnect the plug for the rectifier and connect the lamp between the positive and negative terminals in the loom side plug, the light should burn brightly, any resistance in these wires from the battery and the rectifier will not charge (no idea why). Some Kawasakis have an extra, grey wire that goes through the ignition switch, this should be positive with ignition on.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Is the rectifier getting warm when the bike is running, this indicates the alternator is producing power. If so, get a 12v test lamp, disconnect the plug for the rectifier and connect the lamp between the positive and negative terminals in the loom side plug, the light should burn brightly, any resistance in these wires from the battery and the rectifier will not charge (no idea why). Some Kawasakis have an extra, grey wire that goes through the ignition switch, this should be positive with ignition on.
I'm not sure honestly, I didn't know to check it that! I will check that for sure! When you say alternator..do you mean generator? And when you say loom side.....is that the plug side from the stator to the rectifier??? Thanks for all the help!

Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, an alternator is an AC generator. When the AC systems came in for cars and bikes they were generally called alternators to differentiate them from the DC "generators" used previously (we called the DC ones "dynamos" in the UK). The wires you are checking are from the battery and would plug into the rectifier if you hadn't disconnected it.