Full face vs. Open face helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2000, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which sytle of helmet to you trail ride with and why? I am assuming that most MXer's use full face helmets and to me it seems that about one-third of the duners don't ride with any helmet at all.

I trail ride with a full face helmet but in the summer I find that it keeps in too much heat.

Thanks for your input,
John

Old 04-07-2000, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

The full-face cut down on the possiblities of mid-face, jaw and tooth fractures. Hot may not be so bad, compared to lifting a flap of tissue and peering into an open sinus fracture.

Old 04-07-2000, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

I use a two piece, MX style full face helmet. The "face guard" is removable, by taking out 4 screws. When its hot, you could remove the faceguard, but I agree with TxDoc2, I'd rather be a little hot than bust up my face. The main reason that I like this helmet is that I leave the screws a little loose so I can pull the face guard down to spit while I'm riding, since I ride better with a chew of Skoal. The helmet doesn't have a name on it but does have the DOT sticker. It cost about $80. I've seen this type of helmet in most of the mail order catalogs. I also bought a camaflouge helmet skin so I can use it when riding the quad to my hunting spots.

Old 04-07-2000, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

I have a full face MX style helmet. I like the protection. It has saved me a few times from the rogue tree branch. And of course it looks pretty cool too. I wear my helmet 100% of the time that I ride. I am concerned a bit for my safty, but now with a baby girl, I have even better reasons to wear it.

Old 04-07-2000, 09:10 AM
Range Rover

I ride with a half helmet. It doesn't offer the best protection but offers enough that I probably wouldn't die from a hard crash.

Around here it can be 90 degrees and 90% humidity which makes for miserable riding while crawling up and down goat paths. A lot of the folks I ride with don't wear helmets at all. Personal choice. I would rather have some protection than none.

Old 04-07-2000, 09:23 AM
Range Rover

I actually ride with a full-face street bike helmet, with flip down visor and all. It offers the best protection of all helmets, and you don't have to wear goggles. Keeps all the dust out of your eyes, and when you need to get some air, just flip up the visor and instant AC. I got so used to wearing it on my GSXR, that it feels odd not wearing it. I can't see how people can ride a quad or any bike for that matter without a helmet. I notice that if I try, I feel as if I can't ride as well. Later

Old 04-07-2000, 12:12 PM
Range Rover

Full face, With goggels.In the summer it gets hot but i would rather roast than have my brains splatterd in the dirt.

Old 04-07-2000, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

I ride with a full face helmet.The better the quality helmet,the more ventillation you'll get.I have an Arai VX Pro and can't believe how "cool" it is even in blistering heat.Very breathable.I've had lesser quality helmets that cooked my noggin.Hated wearing them on hot days but this baby is nice.I never ride without it.Falling face first onto any surface thats harder than snow will result in facial fractures.It happened to me mountain biking and I was wearing a good helmet-open face of course.I have had my quad roll ontop of me and had I not had a full face helmet on,I probably wouldn't be here now. Spend the extra money.Get a good quality helmet.It is your life.Whats a couple of hundred dollars vs living in a vegetative state or not at all.

Fishbone.
2000 450ES Red.

Old 04-07-2000, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Bell helmets had an add one time that stated "If you have a 10$ head buy a 10$ helmet". Don't skimp, you get the best protection from a good quality full face helmet!

Old 04-08-2000, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear full face, street style all year round. Yea, it can get hot, but only on those really hot summer days. Great in winter and in dust. I usually run with the visor cracked about 1/4". I also use a communicator with a hands free mike so it cuts down on trail noise to x-mit. Tinted visor helps too. If you've ever had a 620 lb. king quad roll on top of you, you'd probally like to be wearing a full face helmit.

JB

Quick Reply: Full face vs. Open face helmets