Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

85-86ish LT250R?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85-86ish LT250R?

Ok I just traded a 86 rm80 for this 1st gen 250r, he must've got it from someone be he didn't really know much about it but that it used to run but had a violent vibration, I don't get to start it before trading bc both covers were off and he said it had carb issues, I checked spark and compression and both checked out fine, so I get it home and it turns out it's got a gold series fmf pipe and silencer, the front has wider a arms and the rear has 5 lugs wheels(confused bc the 1st gens 4lugs right?) it's got aluminum heat disapating coil thingys connected inline with the water hoses, renthal bars and prob a few more I'm missing.

So yesterday I go into the garage to tinker with it and the kick start won't crank!!! WTF!! It kicked over fine by hand when I was checking for spark and now it's seized, in hopes of it just being a bad kick start gear or something along the lines, I proceeded to pull the head and cylinder off to check for anything jammed, in doing so I learned it's got a brand new looking wiseco piston, someone ported the intake and exhaust, the cylinder didn't have a nick in it also👌
So I was kinda hoping maybe something was jammed bc to fix the bad gear or whatever it is I have to split the case correct? Splitting the case isn't to intimidating as I am mechanically inclined I just don't want to if I don't have to, what do you guys think? It's kicked over the other day and I haven't rode/couldn't ride it, it's jammed in every gear including neutral

Also I took a pic of the cylinder, I think someone raced this guy back in the day bc of all the mods and the studded tires it came with, there's engravings on the outer cylinder wall with the letters ATV an white painted lighting bolts anyone have any clue where it came from?? Here some pics to go along with my long read, oh nevermind I can't post attachments check out my profile maybe I can post them there

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No clue, but sounds like it will be a nice machine when it is running. Also not sure what you mean by jammed up even in neutral. The kickstarter functions completely independently of the transmission. I kind of like the power band on the 85 86 machines, easy to ride in the woods and tighter trails. No telling what kind of beast it will be with porting though.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha I must've been tired when I was working on it bc I'm out here now and realized that the kick start gear looked push out and it was binding up with the clutch basket cog�� I just tapped it in with a rubber mallet slightly and viola!
I wish I could post some pics but it won't let me yet