Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1996 unusual electrical problem pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 unusual electrical problem pls help

First problem I have a 1996 Polaris sportsman 500 sometimes will not turn off then sometimes it will. The other problem is I have no spark when using the starter button but when using the pull rope I have spark with the key ignition in the off position but the switch on the on position and it will start. When the atv won't shut off the motor only has about half the power. I replaced the stator and pick up coil. Any help would be great Thks

Old 02-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattirons76
First problem I have a 1996 Polaris sportsman 500 sometimes will not turn off then sometimes it will. The other problem is I have no spark when using the starter button but when using the pull rope I have spark with the key ignition in the off position but the switch on the on position and it will start. When the atv won't shut off the motor only has about half the power. I replaced the stator and pick up coil. Any help would be great Thks
Sounds like a problem that several people have had. It would start with recoil,but not electric start. First off make sure the battery is up to snuff then you might want to check the air gap between the pick up coil and the magnetic tab on the flywheel even though it's new. Should be between 0.16 -.040. Closer the better. You can sightly "tap" these mounting brackets inward or enlarge the bracket mounting holes to allow it to move closer to the flywheel. This I would do last if all other checks fail..Plus look over this post from a member that experienced the same thing. no spark to plug when using electric starter - Page 3 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community People also over look the the left control switch. Spray some electrical contact cleaner in the crevices and work the switches,over ride and starter button. Dirt,moisture can can get into the brass contacts and cause problems. Plus follow this wiring down into the terminal board and check connections. Plus test that the emergency kill switch works,if it doesn't trace the black wire from the cdi,ignition switch and left control switch where they plug in to the terminal board. May be a problem there. The cdi itself can have internal problems on the black kill wire also. Doesn't happen often,but if you rule out a left control switch or ignition switch and its wiring,it's possible the cdi is the problem on not being able to kill it. Hopefully with these things to check out,you'll be able to find the find the problem.