Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

97 sportsman 500 is this knock normal? Driving me crazy. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 sportsman 500 is this knock normal? Driving me crazy. Help!

Runs fine it bogged in video a little but I have air box cover of. Checked cam,valves adjusted" sounds low can tell if clutch or motor .watching videos people say it's normal Polaris knock. Runs fine don't get worse with rpm increase. Please help. The clutch does have very little side to side play and the weights move side to side and I can push clutch in about an inch. I do hear belt slap cover

Old 01-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ugh how to post video. If you can't see video let me know? It can be viewed at YouTube it's called
97 sportsman knock who's there

Old 01-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Yes that's it

Yes

Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does have new starter ,Bendix and both starter bushings no change. Was told oil pumps are loud. I did notice with plastic off it's loud coming through snorkel by gas tank and when putting hand over opening it quiets slot.like magnifies it. And help appreciated before I give up and get rid of it. It runs strong just worried about bearing,rod,piston. I see a lot of videos and slot sound this loud is this normal.lol

Old 01-26-2017, 08:31 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Drive clutch guide buttons worn down to where the spider is clacking against the clutch towers.Usually quietens as you give it throttle. If in doubt just pull the drive clutch and crank it up. There will be a little in and out play on the drive clutch.Another way to tell is to rock the clutch outer cover plate side to side. Any amount of slack is magnified when you crank it up.Items 3,5,13. Be sure to see if the guide button towers are heavily grooved where the buttons slide.

Attached Thumbnails 97 sportsman 500 is this knock normal? Driving me crazy. Help!-index.png  
Old 01-26-2017, 08:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I did look at clutch I cannot show it in about an inch also does move side to side slightly. I grabbed a weight and it wiggles all over the place. So a clutch can sound like the motor is knocking? I'll pull it. If not it what could it be. Some say it's normal sound?

Old 01-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironmike340
"also does move side to side slightly." I grabbed a weight and it wiggles all over the place. So a clutch can sound like the motor is knocking? I'll pull it. If not it what could it be. Some say it's normal sound?
Not really normal but happens when parts are worn. A new clutch is fairly quiet. Weights usually aren't the problem,just guide button and clutch bushing wear.Complete rebuild kits are available.http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPI-Primary-...RYT1fs&vxp=mtr If the towers are really grooved,buttons worn down to nothing,then might be cheaper to look at a new clutch. Niche looks to have one of the better built ones out there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Spor...5XiPr6&vxp=mtr Read about it's description at the bottom of the page.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok removed the clutch. Started it and that loud banging is gone. The buttons have about 1/8 inch play and wore bad grooves. Has some side to side play. I think I'll just purchase a new clutch on eBay. Wish I could figure out how to attach video before and after? There is a little noise from the motor when it warmed up,but I would expect some little ticks and rattles from a used four stroke? They do seem a little noiseer than other engines. Thanks for the help. I have a manual but Polaris is new to me. I'm a Yamaha guy😜. I'll try to post second video to see if that seems normal for a Polaris engine.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

https://youtu.be/aAJrQWcqbOY
Here is video without clutch on. Let me know if you think that sounds normal for Polaris. Sorry about quality had my hands full.
https://youtu.be/zB3OM7_-h4A Here is first video with clutch on feedback would be helpfull