Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!

Hi I have a 2007 sportsman 500 deluxe Polais ATV, when I turn on the key there is no lights or any power,I wait for about 5 minutes or so the lights and dash start flickering and then stay on, I try to start it with the key and nothing pull start it and it runs shut it off and it will start with the key after all that leave it for 30 minutes and you go through it again. I have put a new starter, battery, ECM, solenoid, called Poaris Canada and they where very nice to me but told me to take it to a dealer at $90.00 an hour, already had it at the dealer for over 3 hours and this is what is still happening, can anybody help me.
Thanks

Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Either a defective ecm even if it's new(can happen) or you've got some shorts somewhere.Best thing if you don't have a manual is to check first under the headlight pod as a lot of problems happen here. It's where the ignition and left control switch come together at the main harness. Plus the main harness is where all the twisting and turning happen. Even the headlight connector can have a short because of the sharp bend the wiring and connector have to make to plug into the high beam.Best to have a schematic diagram and service manual trouble shooting guides as it can help you narrow down the problem.2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 02-17-2015, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default To Old Polaris Tech

Thanks for the info, the bike has the same problem with the new ECM or the old one, I have checked the wiring harness and ounce I get it started it will run all day, if it was the wiring harness would it not dye out on and off, I just changed the key switch and no difference, any help from any body is appreciated.
Thanks Again

Old 02-17-2015, 12:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Also check the left control switch connector plugs,pull them,clean and use die electric grease and check it's wiring that terminate into the main harness. Plus move the emergency on/off switch back and forth several times as some have had contacts corrode from moisture. Plus not a bad idea on pulling all electrical connectors from the cdi,coil,ecm,clean if necessary and use a little dielectric grease.Something still sounds like it's cutting power whether a module or in the wiring harness. Also pull the black kill wire from the cdi and see if it helps. If it does could be a short in the wiring from the ignition switch wiring or left control switch kill wires or in some cases the cdi module can have a short in it from the kill wire itself. Plus even small things like dirt/trash on the pick up coil or floating around in the stator area can cause problems. Even the pickup coil could be beginning to be out of range on the flywheel magnetic strip. A lot of this is related to ignition only,but shorts in it can be just like turning the key off,plus could help narrow down where the problem is.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bike still dosent run

checked the wiring harness and looks good, still have to wait at least 20 to 30 minutes for it to get power before I can start it.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Without the manual you can only just guess at the problem.Try to eliminate problems such as unplugging the speedo connector and see if it helps. You can also snap open the speedo harness connector to see if any pins have slipped down,not making contact. Plus I know you don't want to hear this but it is possible to have two bad ecms even if one is brand new. All the "guts" so to speak are wrapped up in this box. The main functions of the ecm module is that it has an internal regulator/rectifier,a circuit breaker module for battery protection which also controls the lights relay and accessory power plug.Plus wiring from this breaker goes directly to the ignition switch also.If there is a short or too much of a load internally or the ecm connector pins are not making good contatct,it can shut power off to the atv.Also the ecm has a starter lock out module,temp controller module that controls the fan and hot light.When the power shuts off,try turning the ignition on and off along with sliding the emergency kill switch back and forth and see if power comes back on quicker. If it does,then either the ecm module itself,wiring,or connector could be the cause. Again the manual will help especially the wiring schematic so you can trace wires to individual components.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default To Old Polaris Tech

Thank You for your advice, I unplugged the control module by the Rad and cleaned both sides with wire cleaner and then used die electric grease, I went for a ride after pull starting it and now it starts with the key every time, Thanks Again for your help.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by borodd
Thank You for your advice, I unplugged the control module by the Rad and cleaned both sides with wire cleaner and then used die electric grease, I went for a ride after pull starting it and now it starts with the key every time, Thanks Again for your help.
Guess we've been talking about two different machines.. I was thinking carb model while you must have the efi with the pdm/ecm (item #11) module which basically like the ecm on carb models controls different functions,but even more complicated.By unplugging the pdm,you probably just reset it. You might try also to seal this lid up on this module as it's mounted in bad place at the front of the machine by the radiator and subject to water damage also.Plus it costs about twice as much as a carb model ecm as it controls even more things.Seems like Polaris calls everything an ecm on this model,even the "brain box" (item #15) which on other machines it's called what it's supposed to be,an ecu module.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse