Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 700 efi sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 700 efi sportsman

i posted awhile ago about my sportsman not running good, it will start up fine when cold and run good but after i drive it for awhile it will no longer idle and if i turn it off its very hard to get started again have to hold the throttle wide open and when it does start it acts as if it is flooded. but works fine when you get going again meaning when i open it up. i just got the machine a few weeks ago but today i noticed the engine temp sensor has broken wires and oil in my airbox. i tried the turn key on/off 3 times to get the codes and only code was 42 and means engine temp sensor. can anyone think of anything i should be looking at. im good with carbs but not so much with efi thanks for any help

Old 02-28-2015, 07:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Reading this "sticky" post will help understand what's usually happening. https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ap-wiring.html Codes 42,45 often appear when you have a T-bap wiring harness short.Not usually the sensor itself,but the wiring. I replaced plenty with the thin wire Polaris repairs kits only to have them fail again.You can try to repair the broken wire and see if it helps. Most common symptoms on this were back firing,hard starting,erratic or no idle. Once off idle they usually ran ok.Sometimes you can wiggle the harness and connector and feel the engine idle change. At times bare/broken wires are obvious,some wires may feel soft(melted internally) or the pins may have pulled back from the cheap connectors. Here's a link to better harness connectors and wiring. Wish I had these instead of the crappy ones I had to use. First one on the list is possibly what may solve your problem.Only The Best

Old 03-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default related problems?

Just bought a used 2004 Sportsman 700 EFI, first polaris!! Ridden my uncles 700 when I was a kid and remember it being a beast! anyhow, mine is doing almost the same. runs great for about 15-20 minutes, then starts losing power, won't let me give over a quarter throttle and I have to feather it. I can shut it off, start it back up and it's normal for about 10 seconds. It has a plow so without the power I can't push the banks back at all. It will stall if I try to keep it running like this for too long but will start right back up and, again, run great for 10 seconds and then like crap.. Hope I can find some info on here for a fix as I just got it to help me around the new house. I have a newborn and just got off active duty so I am quite angry at the guy who sold it to me and says, "never had any problems with it" so I am here first before I resort to an overreaction...... Also the winch solenoid works off and on, if this has anything to do with it. Just swapped it out for a brand new one and still having same problem..

Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check the simple things first like battery connections are tight,plus that it's charging 14 volts back to the battery from the regulator.Sounds like you might have a fuel problem from your description. Check that the fuel tank vent is clear and open. Fuel pressure test on the fuel rail should hold around 39 psi +/- 3psi according to the manual with no drop in pressure. If it's a fuel pump,several different ones are available on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-Fuel-Pump-Polaris-Sportsman-500-700-800-EFI-2005-2010-/231319343089?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35dbb50ff1&vxp=mtr Plus here's a recent video of a member changing his on a Sportsman 500.