Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris carb

I have a 2001 400 sportsman. It was leaking gas and I found a broken gas line. Upon replacing the broken line I was confused as to where the line actually went. There is like 4 hoses coming off of this thing and there were 2 that were broke but we're never connected to each other... can anyone tell me where all of the hoses go? specifically the ones that T on the top of the carb.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Fuel lines from the tank goes to the fuel valve.Top line on the fuel pump runs to the fuel valve. The second fuel line on the pump is the outlet to the carb. The bottom line is the vacuum line leading to the right side of the carb. Look at the top of this page. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Fuel valve is #19.http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2001&fveh=5555

Old 05-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Now maybe I'm retarded.. but, there is a plastic T on top of the carb with 3 lines coming out of it. One line is missing. Where do they go? The diagram has me all confused

Old 05-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

It's just an atmospheric vent for the carb. The tee isn't necessary if you don't have it.One line is all that's necessary from this vent. In most cases the vent tube is sliced at an angle and insert into a hole in the frame on all other models. The routing isn't that difficult,just take one line at a time from the fuel pump. Both tank lines run into the fuel valve. The fuel valve has an outlet nipple and its line goes to the pump inlet(top hose) The 2nd fuel pump line goes directly to the carb. The angled nipple that has a "P" is the vacuum line from the pump to the opposite side of the carb.This is the nipple on the carb that's straight up,the vent nipple is below it and horizontal.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK thanks. I can't get the son of a gun started for some reason...I think it's all hooked up right.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Crank it over a couple time,then let the starter rest.May have to do this a couple times. Sometimes takes a little time for the fuel pump to fill up the carb bowl. Make sure it's pumping fuel though. Just pull the line form the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

This forum is awesome! The response time is epic

Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default sportsman 500 fuel pump

I've been working numerous and still not getting gas to the carb,I remove and clean carb,clear and clean gas line and vacuum line,clean out fuel pump,tried other fuel pump and still no fuel going to carb. I can't leabe this machine win over me,desperate need assistance.
Tks

Old 05-26-2015, 12:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Depending on what year model you have,some fuel valves them selves could be faulty and stopped up.I've had that happen.Pull the line from the fuel valve leading to the fuel pump and see if you have fuel flow in the on position and reserve from the fuel valve itself.If not,replace the fuel valve.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tks for the response, I verified all good, this machine has sat for quite some time, I was able start it once she ran for roughly 30 seconds then staul. I figure it use the remaining gas that was in the carb, and once empty she staul, thats when i notice there was no gas going to carb.Is there a way I can test for vacum?

Quick Reply: polaris carb