Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Hawkeye gots some Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Hawkeye gots some Problems

Hi Guys,
I just bought a 2007 Hawkeye 4x4 ( 1900 miles ) for my wife to run around on. It has a couple of problems that I should have paid more attention to.
1. You have to really give it gas to get it to move. I assumed it was a worn belt, but after doing some reading I may have been very wrong. I don't know how to troubleshoot this. I am going to buy the manual but wanted to get some expert advice if possible. You really have to rev it high and it tops out at about 25 MPH ( maybe ). I pulled the side cover and the belt didn't look all that worn. Is this a clutch problem??
Second, there is some pretty loud knocking coming from the bottom somewhere. I am not sure if it is a rod knock, or something else. I was hoping it was in the clutches so I could kill two birds with one stone. But after pulling the cover it doesn't seem to be coming from there. Are there other sources I should look for, or just do a engine rebuild?

If you could provide some points to look at while I order my service manual I would appreciate it. I want to make this machine dependable for my wife ( or dump it ?? )

Old 01-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jds535

If you could provide some points to look at while I order my service manual I would appreciate it. I want to make this machine dependable for my wife ( or dump it ?? )
Smart guy.. A manual is the first thing I'd recommend on any machine whether it's running good or not. Or even before you lay a wrench on one if you're not familiar with it. Here's a cheap 5 buck pdf that can help on clutches,troubleshooting,etc. 2007 Polaris Hawkeye Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-29-2016, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need some opinions here.
I put in a new belt, and new drive clutch rollers, nylon sliders, and new bushing. The ATV doesn't respond any better to throttle. You have to rev it up pretty good to get it to go. When you hit the throttle quick it doesn't jump forward. It seems that there is still way too much clutch slip.
Is this the Engine clutch responsible?

I am not sure if this machine is worth putting a lot of money into. Should I just cut my losses and get rid of it? I have 1500 into it now. It seems to run pretty good, and it looks pretty good.
Rebuilding the engine clutch will cost 250 - 300. Is that just good money after bad?

I have only had a Sportsman 700 and Kodiak 700, no small bore ATV's. Is this Hawkeye pathetic and underpowered even when it is running and driving as designed?

Old 01-30-2016, 03:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The Hawkeye along with the Phoenix and Sawtooth were designed as entry level or jump up machines for older kids,women,etc. They were good for what they were made for,but not to compete with larger machines. Even if you repair the engine clutch,if the machine is in good shape,it's cheaper than getting another one. Especially if the wife likes it.Sometimes that's what matters the most,keeping the wife happy.. You can use Nada or Kbb just as a general price guide,but if it's anywhere near accurate of the machine you have,you'd still be ahead cost wise. Kelley Blue Book And yes centrifugal engine clutches were a common problem on these as they got older. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...007&fveh=11316

Old 01-30-2016, 04:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Sir. My wife took a quick spin on it and she did like it. I will replace the engine clutch.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Plus some people have done some mods to this little 300 to wake it up. Here's what one guy did. Want to "wake" up your 300 Hawkeye/Sportsman? - Polaris ATV Forum Plus make sure to check your vin# for this recall. Remember doing a few,may have been just for 2006 models as listed,but important. The ones I did swap out had very thin casting where the tie rods hooked up. Plus you should be able to have any dealer check your vin as to any recalls or updates done.http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2007/...hes-Reported-/

Old 01-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I looked at buying one of these many years ago as a less expensive 4x4 utility to replace the Yamaha Timberwolf I currently had. I was at a local dealer looking at one of these brand new. A brand new one seemed slow and sluggish to me. You really had to rev it up a lot to get it going, it just felt really underpowered. If you just want something to putt around on, I guess they're fine. Its just a machine that doesn't offer much performance. A Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 is similar size and weight(and close in price most of the time) and will run circles around the Hawkeye. An extra 125cc or so(421cc vs 299 actual) doesn't hurt but it just feels a lot more sporty and peppy. I think its the perfect wife or girlfriend quad because of its small size but still gives a fun ride and has cvt with 4x4. The Phoenix and Sawtooth are just oversized kid's quads, they're really slow and sluggish.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

jds535, Did you ever find what the knocking sound was?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a thread from last year, probably he figured it out but didn't reported back.