Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04' Pred 500 Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The top line or vent tube on the oil tank. What you're trying to do is stop air from coming into the tank which forces oil faster to the pump.
Now do I have to be concerned of the oil tank exploding at all or anything else as I have read a few different things? And should I clamp it before I start it up or after I start it up? How long do I leave it clamped for? And last do I un-clamp it while its still running yet or do I shut the bike off then un-clamp it?

Thanks......................I feel stupid probly something so easy yet so confusing for me I just don't want more issues as we've came this far?

Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

All it needs is a couple minutes of running then remove the vice grips or pliers after you kill the machine. On some machines you can hear a hiss of air going back into the tank. No the tank shouldn't explode..

Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

All it needs is a couple minutes of running then remove the vice grips or pliers after you kill the machine. On some machines you can hear a hiss of air going back into the tank. No the tank shouldn't explode..
Well I did all that and I did not hear the so called hiss of air or hear anything after killing the machine and removing the vice grips also it did not change anything either with the oil level in the oil tank.....So I finally decided to pull both oil plugs and filter and drain completely! And I couldn't believe it there was 3 quarts 8 oz in the machine as I have a measuring cup to determine exact amounts and I let it drain for awhile? I will say this it did have a slight smell of fuel in the oil not sure if that's normal? Like I said previously the machine sits way more than its ever been used its an 04' and there's maybe 100 hrs on it as I am the original owner and I did have an hr meter installed on it when purchased new. So with that said I hope this isn't a problem overnight but I did replace the filter, but I did not refill it with the 2 qts of oil yet as I would prefer not to throw money away? What do you think could actually be the problem now?

Thanks again so much!

Old 10-19-2016, 05:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Think I'd rebuild the carb since the machine is 12 years old. Sounds like the float needle is probably sticking or worn allowing fuel into the engine.2003 2007 Polaris Predator 500 Carb Carburetor Repair Kit Made in Japan 03 415 | eBay Plus always turn the fuel valve off when not riding. This in itself can allow fuel to leak out of the carb contaminating the oil.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Think I'd rebuild the carb since the machine is 12 years old. Sounds like the float needle is probably sticking or worn allowing fuel into the engine.2003 2007 Polaris Predator 500 Carb Carburetor Repair Kit Made in Japan 03 415 | eBay Plus always turn the fuel valve off when not riding. This in itself can allow fuel to leak out of the carb contaminating the oil.

I actually just had the carb completely rebuilt 2 years ago by a good friend of mine who is actually a rep for KTM so unless its done something to itself again from sitting for long periods of time I'm not sure if that would be the problem? I do however see a drip of fuel every once in awhile coming from the bottom of the float bowl but very minimal?...................Also thanks for the advice on shutting the fuel valve off when not in use makes sense!........Could there be a possibility of even something more serious though like internally engine wise causing this problem? At this point I think I will refill with 2 fresh qts of PS4 and see what happens from there.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Try the fresh oil and keep a check on the oil level.. Plus even if it was rebuilt 2 years ago and if you're not running ethanol free fuel or a good stabilizer like marine Stabil,Star Tron,etc doesn't take long for carbs to gum up again especially if siting for extended periods of time.