Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

Don't buy CamelBak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't buy CamelBak

Please read the attached article it is very good.

We have a huge, highly financed ECO extremist cult in this country that is being led to believe the ATV's are very bad for us as a country.

The gist of the article states that CamelBak executives are on the board of directors of an ECO extremist organization bent on shutting public land to any motorized transportation. They refuse to advertise or support ATVing any way but still sell to us as 4 out of 5 riders who use a hydration system but CamelBak.

I was just about to buy a CamelBak Mule, but I am now going to buy a FLY unit.

http://www.off-road.com/dunes/speak/speak042001.html

Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a lifetime outdoorsman (backpacker, hiker, trail runner, and ATVer), I have personally had to do a lot of research when deciding who I want to give my partonage. For example, I no longer subscribe to either Backpacker or Outside magazine (or their advertisers!), because of their left-wing political orientation. (I still check out their technical reviews, but I do it standing in the isle of the grocery store!)

Two other companies in particular that are in bed with the ECO's are Leatherman (multitools) and Columbia Sportswear. All the specialized sportswear companies that cater to backpackers and hikers, have at least some involvement as well. Most are big time ECO supporters. And REI is right in there along with the worst of them.

But, it doesn't do any good however to just get mad and/or boycot their products. YOU HAVE TO CONTACT THEM AND TELL THEM WHY YOU ARE DOING IT! Also point out that you are posting their names in places like this forum, which has thousands of readers worldwide!

And when I get a Sierra Club application in the mail (because they use Backpackers mailing list!), I stuff the return envelope full of Blue Ribon Coalition, AMA, and ATVA applications, etc., and send it back so the Sierra Club has to pick up the postage.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Read

This issue isnt as clean cut as some would like to think...

Old 07-20-2005, 08:24 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: maddog56
Read

I knew you would find this thread. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How you been maddog56?

Thanks for the link, now i wont have to type it again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
Read

I knew you would find this thread. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How you been maddog56?

Thanks for the link, now i wont have to type it again. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I had a feeling you might find it to once I posted.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I've been pretty busy so I havent been on the site much lately. Doing well though thanks.

Not sure where I was going with the "higher moral plane" comment but I'll bet its not the only one of my posts that looks worse in hindsight.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fact that the VP (Sky) is on the board of ORCA, and pledge $1,000,000 to their cause is enough reason for me not to buy CamelBak, FLY products are less expensive anyway.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I had a feeling you might find it to once I posted.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I've been pretty busy so I havent been on the site much lately. Doing well though thanks.

Not sure where I was going with the "higher moral plane" comment but I'll bet its not the only one of my posts that looks worse in hindsight.
I actually found it and waited until you posted. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ive been spending more time here than ever. There are rumors floating around that Im going to become a moderator soon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have made a few posts that Im regret too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2005, 11:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

I actually found it and waited until you posted. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ive been spending more time here than ever. There are rumors floating around that Im going to become a moderator soon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I have made a few posts that Im regret too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ahh, so you were waiting for me to take the bait.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll bet the spin zone is just buzzing with activity.

I think you'd make a fine moderator, the site could use another one.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Just think for ONE second:

Would it not make sense to people from Camelback and Columbia etc... to have a vested interest in these organizations?

If I was on the on the Columbia BOG I would certainly want to get someone on the inside so my customers have a voice in anything they get behind. Wouldn't you? And if donating to a cause that was not hurting your interest was called for you do it.

You people are missing the bigger picture. Just like any system of checks and balances you need opposing views and interests to keep a level playing field in any organization.

What sense would it make for these outdoor companies to keep ties with people who want to potentially hurt their pockets? It would make sense in to have a contact who is always aware of what they are planning to do so their customers would have a voice.

Before you boycott do some research and learn exactly what role these said companies are playing. Don't just assume the worst when the exact opposite may be true. Just think about it realistically, why would Camelback want to lose the vast majority of their customers?

Old 07-21-2005, 12:02 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Ahh, so you were waiting for me to take the bait.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'll bet the spin zone is just buzzing with activity.

I think you'd make a fine moderator, the site could use another one.
Absolutely. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Yes it is.

Thanks maddog.

Quick Reply: Don't buy CamelBak