Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 PM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gbflex
I am getting ready to rebuilt the top end on my 87 230 LTS. Should I be concerned with rebuilding the crank 2? I plan on checking the crank and crank bearings for wear and replace as needed. Thanks.
There are specs on run out and side to side play. If your still within spec, top end gasket set as well as the piston,rings (and bore of course), will be all you need.
Good time to change the valve stem seals as well.

keep-em-alive

Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, first time poster here...

I have an 86 model that i bought cheap because it "needed rings" (smoking badly)
Its currently torn down and getting bored/honed/etc, but while i have it apart i have another question about the compression release assembly. Mine is missing. someone must have broke it off and just stuck a bolt covered in liquid gasket in its place. So my question is does anybody know where i can get an exploded view of the cylinder head that shows how it all goes togther with the parts? All the views that i have found dont show it. there are some levers for sale on ebay, but i want to make sure i get the right one and have all the necessary parts before i buy one and try to put it together. Were they the same on all variations of the 230? Or, if someone knew where to pick one up that had all the parts to go with it. Kick starting the bike is a good way to hurt yourself without a compression release.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 86zuk
hello, first time poster here...

I have an 86 model that i bought cheap because it "needed rings" (smoking badly)
Its currently torn down and getting bored/honed/etc, but while i have it apart i have another question about the compression release assembly. Mine is missing. someone must have broke it off and just stuck a bolt covered in liquid gasket in its place. So my question is does anybody know where i can get an exploded view of the cylinder head that shows how it all goes togther with the parts? All the views that i have found dont show it. there are some levers for sale on ebay, but i want to make sure i get the right one and have all the necessary parts before i buy one and try to put it together. Were they the same on all variations of the 230? Or, if someone knew where to pick one up that had all the parts to go with it. Kick starting the bike is a good way to hurt yourself without a compression release.
you can check here, you can change the year and model and checkout a micro fiche for a bunch of different things. Alpha Sports - Suzuki ATV Parts Catalog

Also, shoot me a PM, i believe i have a decompression assembely that you can have.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

PM sent, let me know if you dont get it...im new, i may have done it wrong lol

Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default a few of my mods

heres a few of my 87 lt230s mods for you guys.
1)2" extended a arms with 250x shocks and outset itp wheels
2)1" forward and 1 1/2" risen aluminum bars
3)doubled footpegs with side catchers. They still flip up too.
4)fiberglass i made and fabbed headlight mount
5)86 lt250r axle to widen the rear to match the front with an 86 powdercoated swinger and carrier

Attached Thumbnails 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-extended-arms-250x-shocks.jpg   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-1-inch-forward-1.5-inch-risers.jpg   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-modded-footpegs.jpg   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-my-custom-fiberglass-hood-trimmed-fenders.jpg   85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-powder-coated-86-swingarm-carrier-86-lt250r-axle-wide-behind.jpg  

Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NewportHillClimber
heres a few of my 87 lt230s mods for you guys.
1)2" extended a arms with 250x shocks and outset itp wheels
2)1" forward and 1 1/2" risen aluminum bars
3)doubled footpegs with side catchers. They still flip up too.
4)fiberglass i made and fabbed headlight mount
5)86 lt250r axle to widen the rear to match the front with an 86 powdercoated swinger and carrier
Did you have to extend the tie rods to still have steering with the wider front end?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
BigMc

Noticed some slop in my swingarm pivot. Got about a 1/4 inch play. ITS TIME FOR A REBUILD!!!
Ive already ordered the Pivot works rebuild kit. And for good measure, i picked up a new pivot bolt and nut. As well as chain slides and roller.
Already have the new O-ring chain and sprokets. Soon as my parts come in, ill spend a day working on the ol 230.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by BigMc
Noticed some slop in my swingarm pivot. Got about a 1/4 inch play. ITS TIME FOR A REBUILD!!!
Ive already ordered the Pivot works rebuild kit. And for good measure, i picked up a new pivot bolt and nut. As well as chain slides and roller.
Already have the new O-ring chain and sprokets. Soon as my parts come in, ill spend a day working on the ol 230.
Make sure the swingarm where the bearings press in isnt out of round, I put new bearrings in my swingarm and they lasted about a month because it was out of round. I machined polyurethane bushings and pressed them into the swingarm and havent had a problem in over 2 years with any movement what so ever.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bashr52
Did you have to extend the tie rods to still have steering with the wider front end?
yep i had to extend the tie rods also. i cut them in the center and welded in some more tubing from an extra set of tie rods i had

Old 04-30-2010, 08:01 PM
BigMc

Originally Posted by Skullsnaps
Make sure the swingarm where the bearings press in isnt out of round, I put new bearrings in my swingarm and they lasted about a month because it was out of round. I machined polyurethane bushings and pressed them into the swingarm and havent had a problem in over 2 years with any movement what so ever.
Ill be sure to do that...
I cant complain to much about the service life of this one. The last time the swinger came out i installed a zerk right about center point of the pivot tube. Pump a little water proof grease in there as part of the after ride routine. (Just enough to wipe off each end of the bolt)
To tell the truth, with the extra length and power, im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Guess it was in ther about 7 years.

keep-em-alive

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.