Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

How to achieve more power

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to achieve more power

hey guys i have a 1985 Suzuki LT230GE that i just got running and it really doesnt appear to have much power. This is my first atv and i only got it cause the previous owner said i could have it if i could get it running lol. Anyways what i really want to do with it is go mudding with my friends. I would like to try and keep up with them and their bigger atvs but i know its probably not entirely possible. what would be the best way to increase power? i am willing to spend some cash too but not more than what the atv is worth lol

i did take a video of my little brother riding it right after i got it first running and i didnt quit have it put back together yet lol.

YouTube - Suzuki Lt230GE

Old 12-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by judas009
hey guys i have a 1985 Suzuki LT230GE that i just got running and it really doesnt appear to have much power. This is my first atv and i only got it cause the previous owner said i could have it if i could get it running lol. Anyways what i really want to do with it is go mudding with my friends. I would like to try and keep up with them and their bigger atvs but i know its probably not entirely possible. what would be the best way to increase power? i am willing to spend some cash too but not more than what the atv is worth lol

i did take a video of my little brother riding it right after i got it first running and i didnt quit have it put back together yet lol.

YouTube - Suzuki Lt230GE
a Uni air filter would be a good start. and a carb rebuild to get the crap cleaned out of it. a new spark plug may help also. and if noise isnt a problem for you, knock the baffles out of the muffler. it will greatly increase exhaust flow and of course more horsepower.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the suggestions. do you think a whole new exhaust system might be necessary?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the suggestions. do you think a whole new exhaust system might be necessary?
no not really. besides it might be impossible to find any way. if you can get to the baffles in the muffler and knock them out you'll notice a difference. but you also got to consider this, you got a utility 230. its meant for towing and a butt load of low end torqe.

also try to post a pic of the shifter side of your tranny, and i may be able to help you more. i know a little about your model of 230 but my 230s is what i know best. i have been working on S models for a while.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

yeah i figured thats what its best at since it was made with a hitch on the back lol. i just wanna take the beast mudding lol

Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

ok i just looked at a picture of what your muffler looks like. there is an insert in the end of the muffler. take it out and you should have access to the baffles. this is a strictly," if you want to mod ". using a bar or what ever fits in the end, while its mounted to the quad, use a hammer to bash the crap out of the baffles. be sure that you dont plug up the pipe in the process.

after you bash the baffles, lol. you may want to separate the muffler from the header pipe to make sure you can see through the muffler. if you can see through it you'll be fine and makin better power. maybe if you're bored you can clean the carbon out of the header pipe too. carb cleaner may help get some of the carbon out too.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Range Rover

haha ill have to try it out. and with rebuilding the carb should i just get the rebuild kit or i should i look for jets with bigger holes? cause i read somewhere that jets with bigger holes help performance.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

haha ill have to try it out. and with rebuilding the carb should i just get the rebuild kit or i should i look for jets with bigger holes? cause i read somewhere that jets with bigger holes help performance.
no just stick with a rebuild kit. not unless you want to drop $100 into a new cam. bigger jets means bigger cam. i am still looking at your model of 230 in another page to see if there is anything else i can suggest to ya. i will be back in a few.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

ok here is what i got so far. your 230 is a shaft drive model. with a good set of rear tires you should not get stuck in anything as long as the engine is running properly. i will review your vid and try to listen to how its runs and maybe hear whats goin on engine wise. i'll add you to my contacts and get back with you and try to help.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

thanks bud i really appreciate it. if it helps ill try and get the tire model that is on the back cause i have a feeling that they are not stock. and if nothing else ill get tire and tread size and repost.

Quick Reply: How to achieve more power