Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

86 suzuki 230s troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 86 suzuki 230s troubles

ok i cant get to start cold at all but with a squirt of fluid into the carb and it starts right up and runs fine idles forever then pop it into gear take it for a spin about 3-5min and shuts off dosent bog or sputter its like someone hit the kill switch even popping the clutch it wont run it kinda tries but wont so i pulled it with another quad right away it only sat maybe a 1min on the tow as soon as i got up to speed i popped it in 1st dumped the clutch and it fired right up this repeted 5 times what could be the cause im at a loss something just isnt tuned in right or its a bad wire somewhere ive gone over it for 3days now and cant get it

Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like theres a blown head gasket, or a crack somewhere, its overheating, then it expands the crack and looses compression, and so it wont go anywhere till it cools down, or it could be vaporlock or similar, and once things get hot, the carb cant pump any gas. not to clear myself on that , might only happen if the gas gets hot somehow.
its probably loosing compression

Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default what to do

im at a loss its checked out good on compression i bought a used coil monday thru it on same thing happened its got to something simple would a leak on the stater side cover plate cause a airleak thats the only place its drippin a bitdidnt know if its a vaccume thing or what

Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

What he means is its going to check out good for compression at first, but once you run it its going to start to lose the compression and die once it warms up. While its running, I think you can spray something around the jug gaskets to check for air leaks. I'm not sure what its called, but I think you can use carb cleaner, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, check for a a rip in the carb boot, it could be sucking in air.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

im learning as i go here the the carb boot...from the motor to carb right the rubber..also the airbox on the other end of the carb should that be hooked up and tight if it sucks air from the front part of carb will it run for 3-5 min then die out and will the leak on the left side on the stater cover gasket will that cause it to suck air and mess **** up im going out now to check that boot i hope theres a hole in it so i can ride the damn thing for more then 3min at a time

Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmier007
im learning as i go here the the carb boot...from the motor to carb right the rubber..also the airbox on the other end of the carb should that be hooked up and tight if it sucks air from the front part of carb will it run for 3-5 min then die out and will the leak on the left side on the stater cover gasket will that cause it to suck air and mess **** up im going out now to check that boot i hope theres a hole in it so i can ride the damn thing for more then 3min at a time

no the stator cover wont mess with anything. all it holds back is oil. either the valves are out of adjustment or there is an air leak somewhere. i would say its the rubber carb boot or the head gasket is leaking. get it fired up let it idle and spray starting fluid around the head gasket first, see if it starts to idle fast, without you touchung the throttle. if it doesnt then check the rubber carb boot the same way. odds are there is a rubber o-ring that seals the carb boot to the head, it usually goes bad and leaks. mine went bad and my 230 leaned out and got hot then stalled, but ran fine when it was cold.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

i took it to a guy to have the carb gone over again by someone that knows what hes doing if there was a cracked head wouldnt you see it somewhere cause it runs like brand new for a few mins and it will idle all day without shutting off there waa alot of gas in the carb when i checked to see if the float was working it poured bout a cup in a half out of it