Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Polaris MV7 Hard to Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris MV7 Hard to Shift

I have an 05 mv7 that is very hard to shift even with the machine off. I actually broke the sector gear but replaced it tonight and am still having a hard time. I changed the fluid because it was low but haven't driven it since. I thought maybe if I drove it and had the oil splash up to the top it would loosen up. When is in neutural its very hard to get it out. Do I have to take the trans out and if so what is binding up? I eliminated the foot brake also. Thank you!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's hard to shift even with the engine off you can eliminate any clutch problem. This transmission had problems mainly on the lock out plunger and gear(you said you eliminated this)along with the small shift gearing that could be damaged behind plate #3. Highly suggest a manual if this take this outer cover and gearing apart as it's indexed and must fit a certain way.Parts 5-9 and 61-68. You can do this without removing the transmission.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Here's a cheap 5 buck manual you can down load that should include the mv7 carb model as the transmission is the same.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2005-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 11-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I also read that they had problems with the shift drum...does the trams need to come out for this or is there a way to disassemble it by splitting the case with is still installed?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes the shift drum(that's attached to the outside gears I mentioned) has had problems along with the WIDE shift forks and wave springs that go on either side of them. Easiest to check the outer gear quadrant first,then if no teeth are broken and appears to be okay,it could be an internal problem. Then the tranny would have to be removed and split.I'd still get this manual!

Old 11-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it looks like I can take all the bolts off the clutch side of the trans and just remove that cover...no?

Old 11-28-2013, 09:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The small cover has to be removed along with the outer gears before you can mess with trying this. If you can get this transmission cover off best if you have it leaning over as you'll have a mess with parts falling out! A lot easier on a work bench if you have to split the tranny.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yea I thought parts would fall all over but it is possible isn't it? I just need to take the clutch and belt stuff off. After I get it apart what am I looking for on the shift drum? Will it be all rusty or is stuff bent? Thanks for all the help!!!

Old 11-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I started taking it apart. Super easy, I just need to take the bolts out and then take the cover off! But what am I looking for?

Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by chevyfan16
Well I started taking it apart. Super easy, I just need to take the bolts out and then take the cover off! But what am I looking for?
Get this cheap manual as you shows you step by step! If you don't you may overlook what to check along with showing how the outer shift gear quadrant is indexed properly! 2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have that but it doesn't say what to look for such as worn shift drum or forks.

Quick Reply: Polaris MV7 Hard to Shift