Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger owners please see...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went for my 1st ride with a few buddies and my Eiger 5 speed had a little problem. I just let a friend ride it and it started sputtering. It backfired when he gave it some gas and then wouldn't take gas. It would idle fine but when you gave it gas it sputtered, kind of like a rev limiter. Turned it off, checked it out, plug was off white/ ok. Then started it back up and it was still sputtering and after a few minutes or so it would take gas and rev. It then ran fine the rest of the trip. I tested it on bigger mud holes, hills then I hit before, etc.

I took some ragging from my friends on Yamahas. Any ideas what may have happened?? They think it might have has some bad gas or trash in it and it blew out. Seems to run fine now but still unsure what happened. I would hate to have that happen on some of these hills around here. It never did it the few short rides before and everything else is great. One other guy on a Eiger we know says his is backfiring pretty bad down hills but always would run fine and had the jet adjusted twice. There were a bunch of them when they came out that were jetted for out west or something and the dealer said they all needed adjusted, at first. I've not read of this prob here. Mine is not backfiring other than the one time when he was riding it. I'm going to keep riding it to see if I can get it to do it again. Any ideas or insight on this thing is appreciated...

02 Eiger 4x4/ green 5 sp.

Old 05-30-2002, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

JHAM,
I experienced the same thing last year on both my King Quad and 250 Quadrunner during a long ride in the rain. The bikes ran fine for about 10 mi. then the KQ sputtered for 10 - 15 minutes and stopped. It ran great the rest of the ride. About 30 minutes after the KQ sputtered, the Quadrunner did the same thing.

The only thing I could figure out is that water got in the gas from the rain, or we both had bad gas. We had both filled up in the morning at the same gas station.

Mark

Old 05-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer

JHam,

No problems like that with mine. It is pretty cold natured though. I have to let let it warm up a few mins or it will cough. Was yours cold when it happened? My best guess would be trash or bad gas like said above. Run it like you stole it!

Old 05-30-2002, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, it was pretty warmed up when it happened. It had been running about 15 min. or so and went through a few decent mudholes and a decent hill before it happened. I had just got the gas so I don't know. I hope this thing doesn't have carb problems. When I've seen this before it was a fowled plug or something but not the case here. I really like it though, just a little disappointed at the moment.

I called the dealer and he said it sounds like some water got in the gas if it went away and says he has heard of it before on different bikes. He suggested draining the carb to check for water. I may go ahead a try to do that. Thanks for the info. and any tips appreciated.

Old 05-30-2002, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've had mine for a few months and the engine has never hicupped at all. I haven't done any real long distance rides but had been out for 3-4 hours and been stuck in some serious mud and the thing always ran tops.

I can't understand the "cold natured" posts. I never even have use my choke. It starts right up and runs fine from moment go. Just like my Kodiak. I do get a little exhaust popping on deceleration but nothing big. I've read thats normal for these.

My bet is bad gas. I've seen it happen before.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:47 PM
BK
Pro Rider

JHAM
I haven't experienced that with my Eiger but have seen it with other machines. My brother's Wolverine did that a few trips ago and we had to stop and drain the carb. After that it was fine. A little dirty water came out with the fuel. He had started losing power and then it was missing real bad above an idle. After we drained the carb it never happened again.

JAV1
My Eiger is so cold natured that I can hardly move it for the first few minutes. I have even thought about trying a new pilot jet. I need to pull the shroud off and make sure there isn't an idle mixture screw to fool around with.

Old 05-30-2002, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think I will drain the carb tonight just to make sure. Maybe it was something as simple as water in the gas. I'll have to get a few good, problem free trips in with my friends so they'll stop giving me he//!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]As far as starting, mine starts right up and after a minute or so, (when cold only) it starts to die and have to choke it about 1/4th, then it's fine. I really like the smooth ride, stability and it seems to mud really well. Suzuki doesn't mention it has a functional brake light but a lot of bikes don't have them and should, especially Yamahas. Thanks again for any input.

Old 03-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Eiger owners please see...

I experienced horrible cold weather starting with my 03 Eiger 400 4X4 but I found the problem. The problem is the air vent tube leading from the Keihin CVK32SS carburetor through a hole in the plastic bodywork terminating in a hole on the back side of the fuel tank plastic. My Eiger was assembled incorrectly by either Suzuki or my dealer. I am not sure who routes the line in question or when it occurs. The air vent line was routed to the edge of a plastic cover and bent hard around the corner instead of being routed through the as-designed hole that allows a smooth bend in the line. The 5 minutes of cold start warm up time everyone mentions is the key to finding the problem. When the air vent line is pinched and cold the ability to flow air through the tube is reduced. The air vent tube is located close to the exhaust header. It takes about 5 minutes for the area to warm up and then warm the air vent tube enough so it expands and relaxes the crimp allowing almost normal air to pass through it. I needed to replace the air vent line as it was permanently crimped and routed it correctly through the as-designed hole in the plastic cover. My Eiger would then start normally with full choke for only about 30 seconds accepting throttle inputs right after that. This was tested at 15 degrees Fahrenheit in Northern New York.

Good Luck