Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What protection equipment do you ride with??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What protection equipment do you ride with??

In all my years of riding both dirt bikes and ATV's I've seen some pretty nasty recks on both,with people getting hurt pretty bad..

Now I'm 38 and still like to tear up the trails..But I'm not in the shape I used to be when I raced Hare scrambles on my modded YZ450F,so now I stick to 4 wheels..But still have that little bit of spunk left in me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I cringe every time I'm out on the trails in the summer and see people,both adults and kids going ***** to the wall in a t-shirt shorts and sometime even without a helmet..No personal protection at all..I've hit the ground more than a few time very hard in my riding career and know the importance of protecting yourself as much as you can,even in the hottest conditions..Every time I hit the trails I use..

Helmet/goggles..(I use the type that stay mounted to my helmet)

Long sleeve riding shirt..(they are airy,but tough)

Chest Protector..(can't say how many times they saved me,full armor for chest impacts and full spine support is a must,plus you get shoulder and some upper arm support)

Riding Pants.. (most are good,can get them in any style you want and are very durable when thrown from your machine)

Riding Gloves..(not much impact protection,but for burns,abrasions of any kind they are a must)

Elbow Pads..(when you get dismounted from your machine,it is natural instinct for you to either stick your elbows of hands out for your landing or both)

Kidney Belt..(I use one of these because I'm old and not in the best shape of my life,but I still ride hard and these are a good idea)

Now when I used to ride the dirt bike,I always used the best and up to date Riding Boots I could get,It was always the Alpinestars Tech series..And I fitted a Knee pad above them..But I have found no matter how I adjust my gear-shifter on my Wolverine,wearing riding boots are impossibe to shift that thing for me..So now I use ..

Steel toe work boots(ankle high)with a set of..

Knee/Ankle guards..(they do a great job of protecting both my knees and ankles from frontal impacts)

Now all this stuff may seem like a lot and a little extreme,but I ride alone much of the time and in the case of a bad crash,I want the best odds I can get to be able to get to my cell phone and help..Plus even all that equipment with modern updates riding in 90+degree weather is not that bad(untill you stop,thats when it gets warm lol)

So what do use guys use as personal protection equipment??Also If I can give one guy and idea to get some more stuff,typing this up was worth it..Because I hate typing lol..

Ride Hard..Be Safe..

Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeans, boots, long sleeve riding shirt, a helmet, riding gloves, and goggles.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

i wear football pads the pants and everything even a football helmet with a qb facemask so my googles fit

Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

helmet w/ tinted goggles, riding jersey, full jacket (chest protector, elbow pads kidney belt all attached), riding pants, riding boots (and i do agree that it is almost impossible to shift gears with em on), and riding gloves.

---------------------------------------
2007 yamaha wolverine 450 SE
2004 yamaha blaster

Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

When riding:helmet,jeans,and T-shirt.
When racing:I add a chest protector.That kept me from getting my collarbone broke when I crashed the banshee I had.
Got thrown into a steel railing.Those chest protectors are tough.
Didn't break anything but it hurt just to move that night.OUCH!

The following users liked this post:
Rich1028 (04-29-2023)
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Once when I was riding my YZ450F,I was doing about 40 down a nasty rutted trail,to avoid a really bad rut I went into the grass next to the trail,hit a large hidden rock..Next thing I know..A guy on a ute ATV was yelling to me as he killed the engine and pulled the front of the bike off me..I was out cold,he gave me some water and told me what happened,he saw the whole thing..He told me I hit that rock at good speed,last I remember I was in 3rd gear I think wide open getting ready to shift..So I was moving pretty good..Well he says I hit that rock,went right over the bars hit the ground head 1st and slid face first for about 15 ft on the trail..He told me the bike did a total front flip in the air,landed close to me and the front end slid onto my back..

He told me I was very lucky it was not the rear end,because the tire was still winding out when he got to the bike..

My visor on my helmet was shattered,the plastic on my goggles was pushed out into my face,My clear chest protecter in the front was tore-up..Deep scratches in it from rocks on the trail..The back has four or five smeared knobie marks on it from when the front tire slid onto me..Figures only thing happen to the bike,front fender shattered and my left bark-buster/handguard was destroyed..I was hurting for a week after that one..But not one scratch..

The following users liked this post:
Rich1028 (04-29-2023)
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

-Helmet
-Goggles
-Gloves
-Riding pants/jersey -or- jeans, sweatshirt, and bib overalls. Depends on weather
-Steel toe work boots, above ankle. Riding boots suck!

Old 03-11-2008, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

helmet
goggle
gloves
jeans
riding boots
chest protector
&when i know im going to go big a neck brace

Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

sad to say im one of those Helmet, Jeans & shirt guys you cringe at. Sometimes wear gloves and in summer sometimes wear long sleeve shirt

Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CTATV

sad to say im one of those Helmet, Jeans & shirt guys you cringe at. Sometimes wear gloves and in summer sometimes wear long sleeve shirt</end quote></div>

It's never to late to buy some gear bro..I't really don't take long to get used to it..Most of the time you cant even tell its there..Takes 5 extra min. to put it on also..Without the chest protector I had on in the wreck above,I would hate to see what my chest would have looked like with the gouges that were in that plastic..

Quick Reply: What protection equipment do you ride with??