Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!

I've never heard of anything to rival this. I bought this unit new in 2000. Haven't taken care of it like I should have, I tend to be hard on things.

It has died on me a few times lately, which I attributed to bad gas. The gas REALLY was bad, but it only exposed the real issues.

The engine will now only crank and run IF the seat is removed, the air filter box cover removed, AND the air filter removed. NO kidding. IF I even put the seat on the bike, with no air filter cover or filter on it, the engine dies instantly. It is spitting a huge amount of oil/gas mix out of what I would call the pvc hose if this were a car. If I pinch the hose shut, the engine dies. This thing is STARVING for air. It doesn't have good power, built isn't completely dead either. The choke lever feels like it isn't opening, but I can't be sure yet.

Why would even the seat kill the engine? Even with side covers removed, it should draw enough air. I know it shows all the signs of broken/worn out rings. But it also shows signs that I can't explain, and I am comfortable working on any gasoline engine. It also has big-time blowby out of the oil stick.

I've been pricing piston/ring combos on ebay. Prices look cheap, but I'm going to have to tear it down and see what kind of wear I have before I buy any parts. I'm hoping I don't need to bore the jug.

Thanx in advance for any tips/comments/opinions. I've never heard of an engine that won't run without the seat on it, but I swear it's true and I certainly have NO reason to lie.

RandyD

Old 11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Trailblazer

Is there a video anywhere showing a top end rebuild for a Kodiak 400 auto? Thank you.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Bump

Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Trailblazer

No help? No one believes the symptoms, or is everyone just too busy? I really need some help here, please.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

bump

Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

OK, figured out a few things. 155 pounds of compression. Crankcase is full of gasoline. Looks like a lot of oil ran out of the rear at the driveshaft boot. Engine is not smoking, and does have decent power.

Crankcase has small pieces of gray or green plastic/rubber, looks like it might have been an o-ring, but there is a lot of it and the pieces appear straight and not curved.

Thanx in advance for the help. Randy D.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 AM
Trailblazer

BUMP...............really need some help with this if anyone knows what's going on inside this engine..........please help..........I was ready to buy a piston and rings..........but that's great compression......now I don't know what to do with this thing...................HELP!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer

Drained all the gassy oil out of it, replaced with new oil. Drove it one mile, all the new oil ran out at the driveshaft. (I pulled boot over to check).

So maybe the plastic/rubber pieces in the oilpan is part of the rear seal? This wouldn't solve the upper engine trouble, but it has to be fixed anyway

Any suggestions? Thank you, RD.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

No ideas?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like (A) the seal is shot and (B) you need a carb rebuild. Sounds like the gas was left on, washing down the cylinder and filling the crankcase with gas.

Quick Reply: Serious Engine Trouble on Kodiak 400 4x4 2001!