Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 wolverine-electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 wolverine-electrical problems

2001 wolverine..when problems started i went for a ride and 10 minutes into it, bike shut off..i could use push button and fire it back up..few mintues later shut off again this time i had to pull start it..drove it home and parked it..from then on i could not use push button or pull start.when i pushed start button no clicks or anyting, neutral light and oil light came on but that's it..so i inspected kill switch..it was bad..so i rewired to bypass kill switch (i think i got it right)..after this when i pushed start button i got a single click at the start circuit cut off relay (little white relay beside starter solenoid)..still could not pull start nor could i jump accross the solenoid to start (wasn't getting spark either way..so i replaced main coil (spark plug is new, i tried old plug as well)..still no changes..then i took off the start circuit cut off relay, using two jumper wires i completed that circuit with the relay out..kinda by accident i had unplugged the small red wire coming off the battery/fuse, at the bullet connector..now with the red wire disconnected, and kill switch bypassed, i could get it to crank at push button, but still no spark..but got it to start with pull cord..rode for 5 min, then it backfired, and the bike cut off on me, then it would start back up on its own (i guess because i was rolling?) go for 10 yards, cut off, start back up on its own, 10 more yards cut off again..this time it just died and didn't start back up..let it sit a couple of minutes and finally got it to start with pull starter..got it back home...after it cools down i can pull start it every time as long as that little red wire is disconnected, but it won't run for long, ( it will idle forever, but when i drive it and put a load on it, it will not run very long and it will cut off again..when i hook the red wire back up to use push button, i get no spark, but with that relay bypassed it will turn the starter, but no spark...i had inspected/cleaned all connectors, inspected all wiring i could( i pulled all tape off wiring harness and went over it)..i have been at this for a couple of weeks and am stumped at this point..i am gonna test my pick up coil later today ( i think i already tested it but i'm gonna test it again) and see if it is within spec..but i looked at the previous owners service records and in January of 2012 (one year and 9 months ago) he had the stator replaced at the dealer..so i'm thinking my stator is probably good, as well as the pick up coil, but you never know.. but i just don't know what else it could be..if my cdi was going bad, would i be able to pull start it ??.i read that when they go bad, they just ocmpletely die. .disconnecting that red wire is the only way i can pull start it, hook red wire back up, and i get no spark either way (button or pull start)

can anyone give me some advice/guidance on what to check next??..i'm starting to believe it is a wiring issue, but i have looked and looked and cannot find any bad/loose connections or bare wire/wires, not to say i haven't overlooked something..someone told me it could be the voltage regulator/rectifier but i dont think that's it

in summary---

battery is at 13v when i charge it, then it will go down to 12.4 or so after i try turning the engine over..haven't tested under load

spark plug is new (also tried old plug which was still good)

replace ignition coil

start circuit relay is bad, will replace asap, but can get starter to turn with relay bypassed and red wire coming off battery disconnected

can pull start with red wire disconnected, relay bypassed, but will not run long, as soon as it get warm is will start shutting off..but will idle fine..just when i put the engine under load is it shutting off)

also when i pull start, the neutral light is very faint (becuase red wire is disconnected)..but when i rev the engine, light gets even fainter

headlights also flicker/dim when i rev it up (again with red wire disconnected)

i believe i have kill switch bypassed properly..can't remember what wires connected, think it was a black/yellow stripe and red/white stripe)

I also have my parking brake safety out of the circuit..( i unplugged them then plugged the black wire into back/white wire at bullet connectors and disconnected the white plug coming off the parking brake)

Any ideas, questions, concerns, or comments??

I have a multi meter so i can perform tests on wiring/electrical components..i also have an ammeter if needed

Old 09-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed wiring harness, removed all insulation and inspected each wire...could not find anything that would cause concern..reinstalled wire harness and no changes..i'm gonna get a fresh battery so I can rule that out...after a few start attempts my battery is dropping below 12.3