Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP PLEASE....yamaha moto4 80cc wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE....yamaha moto4 80cc wont start

my atv stopped running outta nowhere and cant seem to figure out why... it sat for 3 years and just recently decided to fix it. i got it running by cleaning the carb and rode it for a couple hours and parked it over night and when i tried to start it the next day it just kept turning over but wouldnt fire.. so i checked the spark and it has plenty of spark. so then i noticed the carb was spitting gas out the air intake and and the overflow drain.. so i bought a rebuild kit for the carb and did that and it stopped comming out the overflow.. ive pulled it down the road behind my truck and got it to start up finally but the only way to keep it running was to make the rpms tach out to the max... does anyone know what my problem could be?

Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Do a compression check, You might have washed the cylinder walls buy flooding it. Also check the oil and see if it smells like gas.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

Could be that your carb float is off. Maybe overcompensated for the overflow and now running lean??? How many turns out is your fuel screw? 2 is a good start. If you're in cold climate, turn out another 1/2 and see how it goes.

Why did you have to bump start it though? I would work on ignition system first.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive got compression... i put some valve lube in the cylinder by the spark plug hole to see if one of the valves were stuck open and i got a little more compression back.. but i dont see how a valve would get stuck over night... when i do get it running it runs good for a min by pulling it then starts to bog down after i shift from 2nd to 3rd or 2nd to 1st.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

i pulled started it cause i was thinking the starter may be to weak to start it but the button. the ignition system is good and all electrical is fine, i have the screw adjusted like at 2 turns. im in florida so dont get to cold.. it was running like a champ when i parked it. then went to go mud riding in the morning and it just wouldnt start

Old 02-21-2014, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you put oil in the cylinder and compression came up your rings are bad.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

how hard would it be to put rings in it

Old 02-22-2014, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

First check valve clearances, if it is the Yam engine I am thinking of, the valve clearances close up and you can only start by towing. Secondly, that carb overflowing was dirt from the tank getting stuck in the float needle. Some more may have got into the carb so clean it out again. If you don’t fit an in line filter you may have to clean the carb out several times before all the bits from the lay up have gone from the tank.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

do i have to pull the head to check vavles... cause i think it is my valves personally.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

No, the valve adjusters are on the rockers under the two screw in caps on the head. Apart from the rocker covers being screw in, the adjustment is similar to what is shown on the other Yamaha posing from yesterday see Yamaha question, the interesting bit is 8min in on the first video. I don’t know the clearance but try 0.003” with the piston at top dead centre on the compression stroke, the engine should run at that.

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE....yamaha moto4 80cc wont start