1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

ATV250 Rear Differential w/ Reverse slipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV250 Rear Differential w/ Reverse slipping

Hello,

I'm working on what I believe is Model 250ATV Manufactured by Chongqing Longting Power Equipment:

http://www.made*in*china.com/showroom/longting/product*detailuIQxtLnPzJdm/China*250ATV.html

I have very little background on the ATV and don't even know what year it was made in. My brother*in*law got it at a farm auction for my father*in*law and it didn't run and we have no history. It appears to have sat in a barn for several years but appears to have very little wear. I'm just trying to get it running for my father*in*law. After fixing the electrical system, and then the fuel system, I'm on to the drive train. The ATV is running now but the rear end is "slipping" out of gear. I found a picture of a similar ATV that uses the same type of rear end as on the 250ATV:

http://www.giobikes.com/ATVs*in*Cana...lity*ATV*Quad/

It's the picture that says "Heavy duty rear axle shaft along with the back drum brakes." about half way down the page.

When I drive the ATV around it "pops" out of gear in the rear end and then the chain just spins. It does "pop" out intermittently (stop*go*stop*go..) or all the way (chain spins, you sit). It will do this when going in forward or reverse. I can go around my house before it does this going fairly slow. There's a lever that you pull and twist that puts the unit in reverse. After it "pops" out of gear if I put it in reverse it will start working again. Same thing if I go in reverse. It pops out and then if I put it in to forward it start working again. It's not making any type of grinding noise but it does jerk you around before it pops out of gear. I did fill the differential with gear oil since it looked like it had leaked but it's hard to tell if that made a difference or not.

Anyone know anything about this type of rear differential or where to find parts?

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATV is up and running now. The cable needed to be adjusted. As soon as I did that it went into gear and stopped popping out of gear.

Just after I fixed the drive train the electrical system went out. Blown fuse. Took some time to figure that out. After fixing that the shifting linkage started sticking and had trouble shifting in and out of gears. Did some adjusting and now that works fine. Took a ride around the block to show a friend and he said "hey, the back tires are on the wrong way". So I swapped the rims on the back.

Why do I mention this? So that anyone who reads this will think twice about buying one of these. I'll stick to name brand ATVs. This has been some project. My 13 year old son did love riding it around the yard. I'm just wondering how long it will keep running I'm more of a John Deere tractor kind or person. They just run and the few times things have broken I have a full set of shop manuals and a dealership 5 miles away that can get anything I would ever need.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Routedworld!

Glad to hear you got it moving forward.

Thanks for the information....It will either scare people away, or help them after their purchase.