1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Help! 04 Kasea Skyhawk 150 Manual/Diagram Needed, and Wont Start? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! 04 Kasea Skyhawk 150 Manual/Diagram Needed, and Wont Start? Help!

Hey guys, got the atv all put back together today, everything is all nice and tight. We out the original engine back on it because the other engine needs a radiator. So we switched motors back, and the thing wont start, its not getting any spark at all... Anyone have any ideas? Or a manual/ wiring diagram for this kinda of atv? Please help!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anyone? Ideas? Help lol

Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never seen a water cooled 150cc engine. Nor have a seen a diagram for Kasea quads.

How many wires are on your CDI? Four?

You may need to troubleshoot this without a diagram. For the CDI to work you need to have power to the CDI, a trigger pulse, an output connection to the coil, and a ground. If you have a kill connection to the CDI then that has to be right also (whatever that may be).

Do you know how your CDI is powered? Is it AC high voltage or DC?

I assume this was working before the engine swap, right?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, i out the stock 150cc back on, its the 300cc that the kid had on there that needs a radiator, which is why i switched back. But the kid i got it from said it ran before he swaped the motors, (he wanted the bigger engine cause it had more power and reverse for plowing) So we swped motors back, made sure everything was tight, and everything was connected, and it just wouldn't start. so we checked and its getting gas for sure, just no spark. But i had no time to look at it today, so ill have to tomorrow. But when my dad was messing with it the other day im pretty sure the CDI was getting power in...

Old 02-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Electrical Expert

One of the confusing things about Kasea 150cc quads is what engine they use..

Is it a GY6 150cc with CVT transmission, or a non-classic engine with a geared transmission. When I look on the internet i see posts claiming both.

Still need info on the CDI...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
One of the confusing things about Kasea 150cc quads is what engine they use..

Is it a GY6 150cc with CVT transmission, or a non-classic engine with a geared transmission. When I look on the internet i see posts claiming both.

Still need info on the CDI...
Where can i find out what engine and stuff it is? Sorry new to atvs so learning as i go lol, and the CDI looks exactly like the one that you posted a image of in this thread

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...ease-help.html

Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Electrical Expert

Gy6 engines use a (C)ontinuously (V)ariable (T)ransmission [CVT] driven by a belt. It is fully automatic. There may or may not be a reverse. If there is a reverse it is a gear box added on to the output shaft that drive the chain sprocket. If you google "GY6 engine" you'll get lots of pictures to look at.

Regardless of what engine, the fact that you have this CDI points the way to solving the 'no spark' problem:

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 2196
Size:  27.7 KB

These CDI's come in two versions: They can be powered from high voltage AC from the stator, or powered with 12 volts DC through the ignition switch. They look the same, but they are not interchangable.

To see what your quad is wired for (and therefore which CDI you need to use) unplug the CDI, then measure the voltage on the "AC ignition power" pin in the wiring harness (to ground) with the ignition switch on. If you have 12 volts DC your CDI is DC powered.

Switch your meter over to measure AC volts on the 100 to 200 volt scale. Measure the same pin while cranking the starter motor. If you have 50 to 80 volts AC on this pin then you have an AC powered CDI. This CDI is much more common, and the older the quad is the more more common it will be.

This is just the start. Once the kind of CDI is established, the next step is to measure the stator trigger voltage, kill switch wiring, ignition coil resistances. All of this is easy to do with a meter once we know which power version of CDI you have.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well i have the manual transmission, so whatever engine that is. and im going to pick up a volt meter tomorrow, so that'll, have to wait. ill update once i get that

Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Mutchler
Well i have the manual transmission, so whatever engine that is. and im going to pick up a volt meter tomorrow, so that'll, have to wait. ill update once i get that
Then you dont have the GY6 engine.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default this might help

Skyhawk 150/170 Quad - Electrical Parts - Kasea, SMC, Blast, Ram, Trail Blazer, and Barossa ATV Parts - A&J Parts great site for parts for those fourwheelers, has some light diagrams. hope it helps