1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions

I got 2 new tao tao 110cc atv's today. I am having a few problems.

1. Brakes not working properly. The hand brake has two to cables going to the front brakes. How do I adjust that? The foot brake isn't stopping the quad either. Only slows it down like the hand brake. How do I bleed the back brakes.

2. When I give it full throttle with me on it it bogs. I'm 160lbs. On this carb it only seems to have a idle screw on the side.

3. The hub nuts keep coming loose. How can I keep these tight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh

Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

here is the atv in question.

Attached Thumbnails Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-ian.jpg  
Old 02-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsills78
I got 2 new tao tao 110cc atv's today. I am having a few problems.

1. Brakes not working properly. The hand brake has two to cables going to the front brakes. How do I adjust that? The foot brake isn't stopping the quad either. Only slows it down like the hand brake. How do I bleed the back brakes.

2. When I give it full throttle with me on it it bogs. I'm 160lbs. On this carb it only seems to have a idle screw on the side.

3. The hub nuts keep coming loose. How can I keep these tight.

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh
Hi Josh

Using my sons Tao Tao 110 (different plastic same components)

1. At the hand brake, where the cable goes in there is 2 adjusting wheels. Also down each cables about 6" - 8" is a coupling that can be used for adjustment. I don't remember if there is an adjustment inside the hub or not; I haven't had the hubs off since I put the thing together.

The back brakes bleed the same as a car. Pump the pedal and hold, loosen the bleeder at the calaper to let air out, close the bleeder, let off the pedal. Add fluid through the cap on the master cylinder. I think the cap says to use DOT 3 or 4 only

2. If you haven't already replace the spark plug with something name brand Autolite 4194 or NGK C7HSA both work well gaped at .0027" -.0028". This has solved a multitude of cold natured starting and poor running problems. I've been reading here lately that gas cap venting has been the cause of the most recent Tao Tao 110 posts about poor running so you might want to try the full throttle test with the cap loose to see if that is your problem. If nether one if these solves the problem post back, there are a number of other things that can cause this problem.

3. Didn't you 110s come with cotter pins to keep the hub nuts from backing off? Snug the nuts up then tighten them till the next slot in the nut lines up with the hole in the spindle. I insert the cotter pin, bend over, done.

Attached Thumbnails Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p5270021.jpg   Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p5270023.jpg   Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p5270027.jpg   Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p5270026.jpg   Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions-p5270022.jpg  

Old 02-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help!

What is the fourth picture?

On the brake cables how do I adjust them? I call my self adjusting them but it really didn't approve. Do I loosen the one at the lever and then adjust the one down on the cable? If so do I turn the one down on the cable to the right or left?

On the brakes in the screw on top with the cover on it the one I need to bleed?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:27 AM
Trailblazer

also how do i adjust the chain?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Josh,

Do you want a couple of 110cc ATV manuals that show how to do all this adjustment stuff? They aren't for your specific ATV, but they are similar enough that the adjustment procedures will be exactly the same.

I you want them then send me an email address by private message and I'll email them back. Together they are just under 5 MBytes. They are in pdf format.

Lynn

Old 02-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Range Rover

Josh, are you sure there's not just oil/grease on the rear rotor? I know that's the case on my identical Taotao 110. You still have to stomp it fairly hard to stop. Pedal is firm and that little caliper is clamping hard. I've got to get at ours with some brake cleaner once the weather warms. Luckily ours runs real well with the 'non adjustable' carb, even w/ my 225lb self on it. Although I did manage to blow the rt rear tire right off the rim earlier this week. Don't air'em down too far like I (initially) did.

Joel

Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jsills78
Thanks for the help!

What is the fourth picture?

On the brake cables how do I adjust them? I call my self adjusting them but it really didn't approve. Do I loosen the one at the lever and then adjust the one down on the cable? If so do I turn the one down on the cable to the right or left?

On the brakes in the screw on top with the cover on it the one I need to bleed?
The 4th picture is the cap on the master cylinder.

For the cable adjustment the idea is to make the cable sheathing longer there by making the cable shorter at the wheel end so start with the adjusting wheels at the hand brake. If you don't get enough adjustment there go to the coupling for more.

Yes the one with the cover on it is the bleeder

Hope this helps

Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Trailblazer

Called TAO TAO today and they said the new ones are set up to bog down from the factory. They said that unscrewing the top part of the carb and moving the needle up or down would fix this. He didn't know which way for sure. Can anyone confirm that this may help before I attempt this?

Old 02-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Range Rover

It's possible; I've herd these machines are built and tested in an area of China where it's very hot, hence they set the carb for running at those conditions. The colder the air gets the more oxygen it contains and the more fuel you need to add to the fuel air mixture to get the right burn in the cylinder. Moving the needle up or down richens or leans out the fuel air mixture, up is richer down is leaner.

To figure out which way you need to go you need to read your spark plug. Here's a web site with a good chart to go by Spark Plugs.

Nick

Quick Reply: Tao Tao 110cc new atv questions